Pallet Potting Bench

$20

Pallets are a free resource for DIY'ers that seem to provide endless possibilities. You can choose to embrace the rustic pallet look, or completely transform them beyond recognition. I chose to turn this trash into treasure with a pallet potting bench. Use this tutorial to create your own potting bench using only a few pallets.

Be sure to check out my blog for the full detailed tutorial.

I snagged a few pallets from our local building supply store for this project. If you don't already have a good place to find pallets, fear not. They are very easy to find. Check with pretty much any business receiving large amounts of product, and I'll bet they'd be happy to dump some pallets on you.

Trim two pallets down to make the side pieces for your potting bench. The dimensions of these pieces are totally customizable, and I would recommend working with what your pallet gives you. Just keep in mind that these will determine the height and width of you potting bench.

I also screwed a 1x4 into the back of each side piece. These boards will be the supports for your top pallet.

Trim down another pallet and slide it over the boards connected to your side pieces. Attach this pallet with screws from the back.

Using another pallet, fashion a shelf inside the potting bench. Finish off the entire front of the potting bench with pallet boards, covering all of the rough edges.

Before adding your worktop, paint the entire body of your potting bench. You can choose any finish that you desire here. I left my paint thin so that the wood still showed through a bit, but the dirtiness of the pallets was covered.

Being the happy salvager that I am, I happened to have some old ship lap boards laying around. I screwed these down as my worktop. You could also use more pallet wood, or even some cedar fence pickets would be nice.

After the table top was installed and trimmed to fit, I added a shelf to the top pallet, and wa-la! A free pallet potting bench.

Enjoy!

Check out the video tutorial.

16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
Hide Your Couch's Wear and Tear With These Great Ideas
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
The 25 Most-Viewed Mason Jar Projects on Hometalk
14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs
3 Super Cool Marbelizing Techniques Everyone's Trying!
32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
Heather Cammack

• Patty

Pallets are heavy! How did you lift them?

• M

Grab a neighbor friend or anyone to help lift. I’d help if I was there and then I could use help making mine!!!

• Black Hills Rosie

Ditto to what the two previous ladies say - it's really cool.

• Julie Gunderson

Very nice project. Seems to be very easy to make considering the only help you had was a bit of help holding up the side pieces. Easily done and inexpensive.