DIY Coffee Table Made With a Washing Machine Drum

$5

A couple of years ago a friend kindly gifted me an old washing machine drum which she had removed from an unrepairable washing machine. The washing machine drum moved house with us whilst I contemplated what to upcycle it into. My husband kindly transformed it into a coffee table, using wood we had to hand.

To make you own washing machine drum coffee table measure the diameter of the drum and add at least a couple of inches. Divide in half to establish the radius - tie a pen to one end of a piece of wire and wrap the other end around a nail to draw a circle the size required for the table top.

Drill a hole just to the outer edge of the circle. This enables you to place a jigsaw through the wood and cut out your table top.

Add any supports required to the underside of the table top. As our top is made from a former shed side the planks are prone to separating.

Measure the desired height ff the finished table. Cut three lengths of wood to size to form your table legs ( you can read my precise measurements here).

Using nuts and bolts secure the legs to the washing machine drum.

Our legs stand proud of the top of the washing machine drum

Place you lid on top and screw the top to the legs to secure.

Give the wood a quick sand. Paint or stain the wood to protect it, I have used two tester pots from Cuprinol in a charcoal color. The completed coffee table is exactly the right height for my husbands garden rocking chair.

Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.More info
Vickymcreations

Questions on this post

Your question...
3 of 29 questions
  • John Cokos John Cokos on Jun 10, 2021

Does the drum ACTUALLY serve any purpose other that ornamental ?

• Michele Venice Michele Venice on Jun 17, 2021

I bet you can drill a hole and put lights in it to use as ambiance or a night ligh. This project im surely going to try. Thank you

• Joseph V. Jaeger Joseph V. Jaeger on Jun 17, 2021

Can you use the drum to make an outdoor fireplace for the patio

Comments

2 of 157 comments
  • Ma Kettle Ma Kettle on Jun 17, 2021

This is beautiful. I see others suggested putting lights in the drum. How lovely that would be.

• This is the most creative coffee table I have ever seen! Love that it's made from a washing machine drum! Stained wood or painted I could see this project in my living room! This is perfect for smaller spaces too!

Next