DIY Coffee Table Made With a Washing Machine Drum

$5

A couple of years ago a friend kindly gifted me an old washing machine drum which she had removed from an unrepairable washing machine. The washing machine drum moved house with us whilst I contemplated what to upcycle it into. My husband kindly transformed it into a coffee table, using wood we had to hand.

To make you own washing machine drum coffee table measure the diameter of the drum and add at least a couple of inches. Divide in half to establish the radius - tie a pen to one end of a piece of wire and wrap the other end around a nail to draw a circle the size required for the table top.

Drill a hole just to the outer edge of the circle. This enables you to place a jigsaw through the wood and cut out your table top.

Add any supports required to the underside of the table top. As our top is made from a former shed side the planks are prone to separating.

Measure the desired height ff the finished table. Cut three lengths of wood to size to form your table legs ( you can read my precise measurements here).

Using nuts and bolts secure the legs to the washing machine drum.

Our legs stand proud of the top of the washing machine drum

Place you lid on top and screw the top to the legs to secure.

Give the wood a quick sand. Paint or stain the wood to protect it, I have used two tester pots from Cuprinol in a charcoal color. The completed coffee table is exactly the right height for my husbands garden rocking chair.

21 Small Things You Can Do to Beautify Your Home This Weekend
30 Stylish Update Ideas You'll Want To Use For Your Bedroom
Super Cool Painting Techniques You've Probably Never Seen!
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!
23 Adorable Ways You Can Make Your Own Coasters
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
Vickymcreations

• Shirley

The wood makes the table, why use the metal piece?

• Tish Ann
      14 hours ago

I disagree, the drum 100% makes the table!!!! I think it looks amazing and it’s 1 of a kind!!!!

• Allene

What about lights inside the drum? Like a big strand of white lights from x-mas? Or the icicles from the outside of the house that your no longer using on the house?

• Ruth Saldana
    Yesterday

Could you fill the drum with something and use it as an outdoor fire pit?

• Hope
    11 hours ago

I really like the table!!! That drum looks so neat and the color sets it off perfectly. I must admit...the drum has me intrigued. I want to put hinges on your top so you can put 'stuff' in the drum. : )

Thanks so much for sharing this one!!

• Ezr
    35 minutes ago

put a light inside with a clear glass bulb and it will through light beams out of every hole and poka dot pattern on the walls... must use old style clear light bulb...NOT frosted bulb...