Raised Oak Leaf Clay Dish DIY

$7
1 Day

I recently made flowers using clay for the first time and really liked working with it! So naturally I looked on Pinterest for inspiration for other projects. I saw lots of ideas including dishes, bowls, magnets and jewelry to pin but nothing really peeked my interest.

I wanted to make a dish that looked different from the usual. And then, while perusing through one of my favorite online decor sites, I came across a lovely oak leaf dish. and had a light bulb moment!

GrandinRoad Source
GrandinRoad Source

How easy would this be to re-create in clay - at least something similar! In fact, check out how easy it really was!

raised oak leaf clay dish diy

First, find a free pattern of a leaf online that would make a nice dish shape. Then, copy, print and cut it out!

raised oak leaf clay dish diy

Next, get a block of oven bake clay to make the dish. I had some old clay in my stash that I wanted to use. But it was quite hard.

raised oak leaf clay dish diy

In fact, after trying to pound it with a hammer to make it soft, I had to put it between parchment paper to stomp on it to help get it pliable. And that worked somewhat!

raised oak leaf clay dish diy

I was able to roll it out using a rolling pin - but still, it was hard rolling and had to ask hubby to help with that!

raised oak leaf clay dish diy

Next, lay the leaf template down on the flatten clay and start cutting it out using a craft knife.

raised oak leaf clay dish diy

I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to remove the excess clay from the leaf pattern.

raised oak leaf clay dish diy

Then use a wooden skewer to add vein lines to the leaf.

raised oak leaf clay dish diy

Next, time to bake! Since the dish that inspired me was curved with a flat base, I used a small glass to lay the leaf on to curve the clay dish inside the glass bowl. Be sure to place parchment paper down on the glass bowl first to prevent sticking. Follow the package for baking - 275 degrees for 15 minutes and then let cool off completely.

raised oak leaf clay dish diy

I left the oven baked clay dish out over night and then used an emery board to help smooth and round out all of the edges.

raised oak leaf clay dish diy

To paint the dish, I did a bit of research on how to paint polymer clay and read never to use spray paint or nail polish on clay. The chemicals in the spray can and polish will eventually break down the clay and destroy the item. So I painted the leaf veins a berry metallic color using acrylic craft paint.

raised oak leaf clay dish diy

Then used a copper metallic to paint the leaf all over. I also blended the berry and copper colors together and added the mix around the edge areas for a shaded look.

raised oak leaf clay dish diy

And finally, sealed the leaf dish with mod podge.

Don't you just love how this turned out! And it was really that easy! How's this for a unique clay dish!

raised oak leaf clay dish diy

Gail@Purple Hues and Me

• Becky McIntyre

This looks amazing! I do like yours better than the one you had the idea from. One question, couldn't you have added water to the clay to make it more pliable? Or wouldn't that work for this type of clay?

• Thank you, Becky! Yes, adding a little water would have probably worked, too. I was trying not to add anything to the clay and just tried to get it more pliable through kneading - however difficult that was. My biggest fear was the clay cracking after I had completed the piece. I read horror stories about that happening, but so far that hasn't happen and I'm quite pleased with the results.

• Bette

Love this idea for adults and kids! Different sizes and colors!! Congrats on the great idea!

my real question is what kind of sandals are your wearing??? I love them!

• Susan

Is the clay and all the finishes you used food safe? It’s beautiful, and I have that clay and never used it, so inspirational!

• It's ok to cure in an oven but not for food contact. Neither are the paints that I use. The clay dish is strictly for ornamental decorations.

• Ann

It seems like it would be very cool to try this with a real leaf or perhaps one from a craft store if you can find one big enough and press your clay sheet onto the side with the strongest veining. Make sure any dish used is oven safe for anyone using this type of clay. Also, you can use a homemade play doh recipe and bake at a low temp. Yours is beautiful and I love the finish. Great idea!

• Ileen

Very nice, but a little reminder... the word is not spelled peeked; it's piqued. I just thought you may want to know that.😉