Homemade Roach Spray (Good for Ants and Other Bugs Too)

$1

Do you know what the number one question was we were asked this summer? How to get rid of roaches! One of our popular posts is our homemade ant spray, so readers want to know about other insects too. Especially roaches!

I just used a bunch of this homemade spray because a random trail of ants showed up on my front porch, and I didn’t want Amelia to get in it. I spray it to safely kill the ants and and things like roaches. It was safe for her, safe for the dog, and killed the ants.

Before we share the recipe, please head to our blog post. We have very important tips on keeping your home clean and free from bugs. This is always the first step when dealing with something like roaches or ants. They travel to find water and shelter.

Please read this first!!

Ingredients:

• 2 cups of vinegar, distilled
  • 2 cups of water
  • 3 tablespoon dishwashing liquid
  • 3 tablespoons table salt
  • Spray Bottle

Directions:

1. Mix ingredients together, add to a spray bottle.
  2. Shake well before spraying each time.

To learn more about the science behind these ingredients, please visit our link here.

To INTENSIFY this solution:

If you have larger roaches to deal with, eliminate the water in the solution above and replace with additional vinegar. This means the solution will contain 4 cups of vinegar, 3 tbsp dawn, 3 tbsp salt. I have used it on small roaches and it kills them instantly.

Remember to check out chemistrycachet.com for more science based tips! :)

• Vinegar  (Store)
  • Dish Soap  (Store)
  • Salt  (Store)

Alexis @ Chemistry Cachet

• Mary Anne Molinari
    7 hours ago

Well it is more a comment. I have used apple cidar vinager and a little dish soap. Fruit gnats disappear really fast. The apple cidar is sweet and draws them in. The soap drags them down down

• Ruth Saldana
    3 hours ago

How about gophers? UGH

• Charlotte
    An hour ago

This might be a really silly question but do you have to spray it ON the bug or can you spray the perimeter of your home and it will kill them.?. Or maybe spray under the kitchen sink and it will kill them when they walk through it.?. I guess what I’m asking is will it kill bugs once it’s dry.?.

Thanks, I tell my kids the only silly question is the one not asked but I’m feeling like this one is pretty silly.

• Alexis @ Chemistry Cachet
      30 minutes ago

Not a silly question :) the blog post has the steps and details on use. You can click it and read more, but it kills on contact. You need to spray the bug. The vinegar/ salt combo does act as a deterrent but better to spray directly. The blog post shares many ways to deter them which is good to use in conjunction with this spray

• Mac Grinnell
    20 hours ago

The recipe in this post is an excellent spray to kill poison ivy. It's non-toxic and inexpensive. I spray it on the leaves and a day later the poison ivy is brown and wilted, thus dying off.

• Albirtha Turner
    11 hours ago

probably but will it get rid of lizards