Build a Painted Block Table Top, From Cheap 2x4's

$10

Have you ever tried resawing 2x4's?? If you like woodworking and are comfortable with a table saw, resawing 2x4's is a great way to save money on a project. I've cut 2x4's into 2x2's and 1x2's on this little DIY Side Table project. I've also used resawing just to trim the rounded edges off of 2x4's to give them a nicer, cleaner edge. You can see me resawing for this project in the video.

For this table top, I spent less than $10 on the paint and wood.

First, buy the nicest framing studs (2x4) you can find, with the least amount on knots.

Then cut them to the length you need on a Miter Saw (photo from my video). I think it's easier to make straighter resaw cuts on the table saw with shorter pieces of wood, that's why I cut them to length first.

Then resaw the blocks. Start by cutting off the rounded edge, then cut 2 - 3/4" blocks and 1 - 1" block from each length. You'll want to do all of the edges in one go, then reset table saw to 3/4", do all of the 3/4" cuts. Then reset the table saw and do all the 1" cuts.

You can see the resaw in the video. Be sure to always use every safety percaution with power tools. Definitely use a push stick for resawing to keep your hands far away from the blade.

Sand all sides and ends of your block smooth, without rounding the corners or shortening the length.

Arrange your blocks in a size pattern, then paint them in whatever colors and order you like. I used a special mix of acrylic paint to keep the grain showing through the paint. You can see the full of the build instructions and how I mixed the paint on the tutorial on my site.

After drying, I carefully glued and clamped the blocks together. Make sure that the edges and top are as straight and flat as possible before clamping. Wipe away any glue that squeezes out, right away, with a damp cloth.

I had to clamp each of my tops in 2 sections because my clamps weren't long enough.

When the 2 sections dried, I glued and clamped those together with my strap clamp. All of this is in the video too.

Once the glue dried, I touched up any paint needed, then sealed the new table top with 3 coats of a good water-based poly.

I attached my new tops with corner braces.

And, here's my new guest room bedside tables. What do you think?You can find the full instructions and even build details for the table frame on my site.

Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
Here's How You Can DIY The Hottest Home Decor Trends of 2018
Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs
Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
3 Cute Step-by-Step Ideas For Unique Planters
15 Simple Projects Under 30 Min To Get You Ready For The Spring Season
15 Memorial Day Crafts
Stephanie Abbott