The Easiest Drywall Patch

$15

I learned this patch method from a handyman friend of mine and I’ve used it more times than I can count. It saves time and money because you don’t need to buy a patch kit, nor install wood brackets or braces inside your wall to secure the patch.

The first step is to cut the patch to fit the hole in your wall or ceiling. If you have an irregular shaped hole from a door handle or otherwise, then cut the wall/ceiling hole to a specific size(5″x5″ square, etc.) so you can cut your patch to match that size.

With this method there’s no need to cut the drywall all the way back to a stud.

After you cut the shape of your wall hole, cut the “butterfly wings”. In other words, score a straight line from the edge of your patch to edge of the square of drywall.

Score from edge to edge.

Next, carefully pull the drywall sections away from the paper. The video shows this step clearly.

Once the patch is cut and ready, slather some drywall mud into the hole so the edges are covered with mud. Then add mud all the way around the hole extending out about 2"-3" , or as wide as the paper on your patch.

Place the patch into the hole and firmly press the paper into the wet mud.

With a metal trowel squish the mud out from between the paper and the wall creating a bond between the two.

Once the patch is firmly in place, add a thin layer of mud over the whole patch with a wide(8" or more) metal mud knife. Allow the mud to dry completely, sand and apply a second and third coat.

The video tutorial of the butterfly patch will clear up some of the unclear steps in the still photos.

3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home
Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
Mimzy lombardo

• Lynn Kirouac

I would like to watch the video of this ingenious drywall repair - but I can't see a link to the video?

• Ida9464

They(Hometalk) ought to put the video after the final finished product photo. Soooo many miss the video including me. Hear👂 That, Hometalk???but seriously, great job!

• Ronda

For the air holes, what would happen if you put a little mud on the inside around the hole?

• Diane Laber

I can’t find video I looked up top by title... how can I see video. Would lov to do this

• Ruth

Couldn't find the video

• Tthed

Great demonstration! I appreciated your realistic representation (including the mid-steps!). I feel like I could do this!

Thanks!