Nautical Salad Bowl Mirror

$10

Last May my local thrift store had a half price sale for everything in the store. I’d been looking for a wooden salad bowl for a couple of months and to find one on half price day, even better.

I’m pairing the salad bowl with a round mirror. The salad bowl makes a perfect frame, it’s solid wood, it's nice and deep and you can find the round mirrors at any of the major craft stores for only a few dollars.

I can’t wait to give him a nautical look with blue and white stripes.

Paint the bowl, inside and out white. This is white chalk paint, but I could have also used white trim paint. You don’t have to paint where the mirror will sit or the bottom of the salad bowl since that will be against the wall.

Let the first coat dry and use a second coat of paint if necessary to cover any thin spots.

I’m attempting to use painters tape to get a nice clean line for my nautical stripes. Since the bowl is slanted only part of the tape went on smoothly. I knew I was gonna get lots of paint bleed.

Paint your stripes with navy blue paint.

Again, let dry and give a second coat where needed.

The painters tape gave me a good start but I did have a lot of touch ups to do to get a nice smooth line.

Repeat the painters tape and paint for the inside of the bowl.

If you used chalk paint, get rid of the chalky feel with a final coat of clear wax.

Use a nice strong builders adhesive to attach the mirror to the bottom of the bowl.

If you want more mirror inspiration you can find all my mirror upcycles here.

Make sure you click on the link if you have any additional questions or need more pics. Stay inspired.

ScavengerChic

• Charlene Morgan

Nice! (Was a wooden bowl really needed?)

• Cathy Magan

💙Love IT! How did you hang it up? I have a very big / thick salad bowl I would like to do this idea with, but no clue how to hang it up without damaging the mirror in the bowl & my WALL. Thanks!

• ScavengerChic

If you think there is a chance you'd break the mirror attach the D ring before installing the mirror

• Carol Cole

OMGOSH, I love , love, love it. It is so cute.

• Hohn

I live in a beach house and always look for nautical themes. This one is a keeper.