30 Minutes to Make This DIY Butcher Block Table With Hairpin Legs

$350

ZZ Top kept running through my head with this project.  “She’s got legs...”  Any 80’s peeps out there? I am soooo excited with how this simple project turned out. Two years ago I bought a butcher block top from Lumber Liquidators to put on top of an existing table base that I had. I had trouble removing the table top from the base so I used some IKEA shelves at as a table base. It wasn’t ideal. Then I got some hairpin legs from

Amazon and I couldn’t be happier with the end product. I always say, “This is my favorite project.” and once again, I have a new favorite project.

So, first I purchased a butcher block top from lumber liquidators.

The first time that I oiled the butcher block, I used tung oil. I didn’t think that it held up very well but maybe it was laziness on my part. I watch a food blogger on Instagram (Flavcity) and he showed how he uses mineral oil on his cutting boards to condition them. So, I purchased this food safe mineral oil off of Amazon. This mineral oil, also, doesn’t spoil. You don’t want to use an oil that could go rancid.

I poured it on generously and rubbed it in.

After you rub it all over your table top, you wait for it to absorb as much as possible and then rub a cloth across the top to remove any excess. I let mine soak in all night long since it seemed so dry.

Wow, what a difference the oiling it makes! Here it is half done.

What could happen it you don’t oil it enough? It could crack. I think this happened because I didn’t oil it as often as I should have. It is deep but doesn’t go all the way through so this is now the bottom of my table.

So one of the problems with the IKEA shelves as a base is that it interfered with chairs and leg room. So I set a chair on top with a leg to make sure that I would be happy with the placement.

The directions say to place them in 2 inches from the sides for a dining room table but I rather liked the look of 4 inches in from each side.

I made a template so that each corner the legs would be in the same place. You could just measure but I like to use templates. I punched holes and then used a black marker through the holes to mark the table at each corner.

The place that I ordered the hairpin legs from on Amazon said if you included the thickness of your tabletop, then they would send the correct size screws. These are perfect. I hate having to go buy hardware for a project.

The directions didn’t say to predrill the holes and I couldn’t locate my drill bits so “heart in hand”, I drilled the screws into the table legs.

A few short minutes later... So easy!

These legs are beautiful!

Just in time for the holidays!

You wouldn’t believe how this table went from humdrum to outstanding just by adding a pair of $50 hairpin legs.