Faux Arched Christmas Fireplace

$160

When I moved to Florida I didn’t have a fireplace to hang my children’s stockings. These stockings are very special to me since my cousin made them for me about 45 years ago. So I decided to make a faux fireplace that was easy to set up and take apart to store

Finished fireplace at night

I started with a 48” x 48” x 1/4” piece of plywood. I made a rough template out of wrapping paper so I could decide the size of the arched opening.

I used 1 x 4’s 45” high to trim sides

1x 6”s 49 1/2” long that frames the top. That piece extends 3/4” on either side so I could but up the side pieces up to it. The 1 x 6 sits on top the trim pieces on the sides. The 1 x 6” piece actually goes about 2” above the plywood because I wanted to make the fireplace a little higher.

Used the wrapping paper template to draw my arch on a 3/4” piece of plywood

I wanted the arch to be the same width as a 1 x 4” so I used a small piece of 1 x 4” to mark the top edge of the arch.

Cut the arch out with jig saw

Finished arch was later sanded

Marked the opening with the arch top and straight sides and cut out

I attached the top, sides and arch trim pieces to the 48 x 48” plywood. Please note that the side trim pieces extend 3/4” pass the plywood so later the fireplace side pieces would but into it. When I cut out the arch I was able to save the corners to use as embellishment with my appliqués. Also added middle piece between the corner embellishments

1 x 6” piece as baseboard

Added sides that are 1 x 10” 48” high with corner brackets

Sides attached

Sides attached 1 x 6” top trim piece attached to side board of fireplace to match height of front of fireplace. Added corner brackets to later attach mantle. Added a strip of wood to keep sides at a 90% angle.

Piece of laminate painted black for inside of fireplace It sits on top of base board

Added a strip of black to cover baseboard.

Better view of side pieces attached.

View of the 54” x 12” mantle attached with angle brackets

Added trim to mantle and attached.

Notched bottom of fireplace sides to allow for base.

54” x 22” Hearth was made from 1/2” plywood painted black to look like slate. Wood logs and fairy lights complete the look.

Because I have attached the mantle to the sides with angle brackets I just can unscrew to remove mantle

Just take the screws out that attach the front to the sides so all the pieces can store flat.

Daytime view.

15 Amazing Projects To Help Make Your Home Look Fabulous
30 Neat Ideas To Upgrade Your Backyard
The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
25 Decor Ideas That Will Add Some Spring to Your Home
22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty
22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY
These 21 Bloggers Came Up With The Most Amazing Organization Ideas
Update Your Plain Dishes With These Adorable Ideas

• Winkler

Great idea! Looks very nice👍🏼

• Virginia Skidmore

Hello I would love to have one just like this would you be interested in selling this piece?

• Debbie

Thank you ,but I think shipping would be a problem. The width without mantle is about 50” and it’s 50” high. Won’t even fit in my friends Jeep Grand Cherokee.

• Juliet

How to effectively remove molds from bath tiles without using mold & mildew sprays

• Penelope

Fantastic idea. I moved to Florida and also miss my hearth. Thanks for sharing

• Julie L Racette

January, 26, 2020

Love it, It is so gorgeous,

If I would keep the faux Christmas fire place all year long,then when the Holiday's are done, I would put various size batteries operated candles.