Closet to Mudroom Makeover

$100

The front closet in this income property needed a makeover bad! Not only was it an eyesore but the function wasn't that great either. I needed a quick cheap fix that didn't require major skills.

The huge sliding doors were ugly and took up too much space. The back wall had been opened up to fix a water leak so it did not look good at all.

Progress pic of gutting the closet (didn't get one of the end result). The bar, shelf and hangers were taken out.

Using 2 x 4's the bench frame was put in along with hinged plywood to access the shut off water pipes if needed.

Pic of the bench seat down.

Lowe's had a 4 x 8 ship lap wall panel for under $50. We cut it to size and used a air nailer to secure it to the wall. The piece was measured to only go up to where the shelf will sit. 

Once the shelf was up, I added some corbels I found at Home Sense for under $20! I just love the look of them. I think they can go with pretty much any décor style. I then primed and painted the walls, ship lap and shelf.

I had a wall paper roll I had bought long ago for a discounted price at Rona so I cut the roll to size and glued it up using wall paper paste. This was my first attempt at wall paper. I wasn't sure exactly how to do it so I cut each piece a little bigger then the space I measured just to be safe. I also watched a lot of Youtube videos, what a lifesaver!Once it was pasted on I used a razor to trim the corners.

For the cushion I used a piece of foam I had laying around and found the material at Walmart. It comes precut and was so easy to use. I stapled the fabric and cushion onto the plywood. Had a little trouble with the corners, more then I do when reupholstering a chair so they definitely are not perfect!

Unfortunately I don't have a final pic with it finished but I added some black iron hooks for jackets and put trim at the bottom where the shoes go. The baskets work great for scarfs and mitts.

Really happy with the turn out and didn't take long at all. I probably spent the most time figuring out how the wallpaper was going to fit with the pattern lol.

• Judy Little

I have rental property that has a similar space. What you did looks great but what if the water heater goes out? It looks as though you would have to rip this all out, am I missing something?

• Mihaela Parker

Hi Judy, the hot water tank is not there, it's the pipes for the bathroom. That was what was leaking so we put in shut off valves in case the pipes need to be shut off. Under the bench is an access point to the shut off. The bench is on hinges so you just have to lift it to get access. Fortunately in this condo unit the water heaters are in the basement. If yours is behind the closet, I would just make the panel removable and use a pre built bench instead of a built in should you need to access it.