Art Deco Drinks Cabinet Upcycle

$80
Advanced

I'm a sucker for drinks cabinets. If you have been following me here or on Instagram you know that I have previously refinished and art deco drinks cabinet that was much smaller than this one. I knew this one was going to have amazing wood grain just like the last one did and that is going to have serious great Gatsby vibes once I was done with it! Check out this transformation and if you want to see more follow me on Instagram @andreapalmai
Before
Here is what it looked like before. The veneer was coming off on one side and since knew I was going to paint the sides I just peeled it off. Luckily it came off pretty easy, I didn't have to use any tricks
Veneer off
Time to sand
Once all the doors and hardware was off it was time to sand. I sanded the wood parts that were going to be exposed with 120 220 then 320 sand paper grit. I also sanded the now raw side without the veneer. Then it was time to paint
It was my first time using valspar furniture paint and I must say I like it. I tinted this one black and applied 2 coats with a paintbrush and the finish was smooth and no visible bristle strokes. This paint also requires no sanding so it's a win. Once it dried it had a nice satin shine to it at the end.
I painted the top and the sides and one of the drawers. I added new knobs because the old ones were bent. I applied 2 coats of boiled linseed oil on the doors to make that wood grain pop.
The woodgrain on the doors were amazing but I still wanted something cool and unique on this piece, so I decided on an art deco inspired stencil for the middle door. The stencil was purchased on Amazon
Stencil
This was a bit difficult because the door wasn't a flat surface. It had a circular bump around the pull as well as a curve on top. I worked slowly but the paint still got under the stencil... I waited till the paint dried then lightly sanded where I "colored outside the lines" to make the lines sharp I used a black sharpie where it was needed. I applied the linseed oil once the stencil was complete.
Suggest applying stencil on a flat surface
It was tedious work but was totally worth it!
I also added motion sensor LED lights inside the cabinet so it lights up when you open the door! I just love how this turned out

16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
25 Fun Things You'll Want to DIY Before the Spring Arrives
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
21 Stunning Wreaths for The 4th of July
Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
How To: Make Hot Glue Placemats + More Crafts Ideas!
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!

• Shelia Howe

Stunningly beautiful... your a very inspiring lady with a great eye. Where did you get the idea for the legs ? Grand idea 💡!! Just Beautiful!! The Baroness 🌹

• Lifestyles Homes

Did you know that’s an English Art Deco piece? This one just sold for $700, but it needed no repairs.

How do you determine when to buy new veneer vs. remove & paint?

• Andrea Palmai

I did know! I sold mine for $850. Bought it for $50. I'm looking at my margins. Would I be able to sell that piece for thousands of dollars? then sure it would worth to invest a couple hundred to re-veneer. Not in this case.

• Linda

beautiful job. Where did you get the leg for on the bottom of the stand/dresser, amazing.

• Shelly Moore

Can I just say A*M*A*Z*I*N*G!!!!!!! 😲🏅🎖️ You should get a huge Prize!!! That stencil is perfect!!!!

• Connie

Perfectly done. I would have saved myself some work by not putting the stencil on the circular bump, though. I would have been so frustrated trying to do that. However it looks like you did a spectacular job.