Art Deco Drinks Cabinet Upcycle

$80
Advanced

I'm a sucker for drinks cabinets. If you have been following me here or on Instagram you know that I have previously refinished and art deco drinks cabinet that was much smaller than this one. I knew this one was going to have amazing wood grain just like the last one did and that is going to have serious great Gatsby vibes once I was done with it! Check out this transformation and if you want to see more follow me on Instagram @andreapalmai
Before
Here is what it looked like before. The veneer was coming off on one side and since knew I was going to paint the sides I just peeled it off. Luckily it came off pretty easy, I didn't have to use any tricks
Veneer off
Time to sand
Once all the doors and hardware was off it was time to sand. I sanded the wood parts that were going to be exposed with 120 220 then 320 sand paper grit. I also sanded the now raw side without the veneer. Then it was time to paint
It was my first time using valspar furniture paint and I must say I like it. I tinted this one black and applied 2 coats with a paintbrush and the finish was smooth and no visible bristle strokes. This paint also requires no sanding so it's a win. Once it dried it had a nice satin shine to it at the end.
I painted the top and the sides and one of the drawers. I added new knobs because the old ones were bent. I applied 2 coats of boiled linseed oil on the doors to make that wood grain pop.
The woodgrain on the doors were amazing but I still wanted something cool and unique on this piece, so I decided on an art deco inspired stencil for the middle door. The stencil was purchased on Amazon
Stencil
This was a bit difficult because the door wasn't a flat surface. It had a circular bump around the pull as well as a curve on top. I worked slowly but the paint still got under the stencil... I waited till the paint dried then lightly sanded where I "colored outside the lines" to make the lines sharp I used a black sharpie where it was needed. I applied the linseed oil once the stencil was complete.
Suggest applying stencil on a flat surface
It was tedious work but was totally worth it!
I also added motion sensor LED lights inside the cabinet so it lights up when you open the door! I just love how this turned out

• Barbara

I LOVE this makeover! Great job! Where did you find the legs? I feel they really help make the look.

• Susan

It looks like the legs were already on this piece ans she removed the wheels and painted them.

• Shelia Howe

Stunningly beautiful... your a very inspiring lady with a great eye. Where did you get the idea for the legs ? Grand idea 💡!! Just Beautiful!! The Baroness 🌹

• Lifestyles Homes
    Yesterday

Did you know that’s an English Art Deco piece? This one just sold for $700, but it needed no repairs.

How do you determine when to buy new veneer vs. remove & paint?

• Andrea Palmai
      20 hours ago

I did know! I sold mine for $850. Bought it for $50. I'm looking at my margins. Would I be able to sell that piece for thousands of dollars? then sure it would worth to invest a couple hundred to re-veneer. Not in this case.

• Strip1254
    6 hours ago

Beautiful revival of an Art Deco piece that would have been left in the dumpster to sadly fade away.

• Deb Anderson
    6 hours ago

You gave her her youth back. That is a stunning piece of yumminess