How to Keep Patio Cushions Dry + Video

$5

Do you remember the scene from Steele Magnolias when M’lynn screams when she sees Shelby’s brothers have decorated her honeymoon car with ... um protection?

Well, that’s the same reaction I had last summer. With a forecast of more than two days of rain, I worried about how to keep my patio cushions from getting soaking wet. It wasn’t practical to bring them inside for every afternoon thunderstorm.

But, who wants to sit in a soggy patio cushion when the weekend comes around?

Sometimes the best ideas are based on the premise; do not overthink the idea. The solution is simple and most of you have to look no further than under your kitchen sink.

And, then inspiration struck when I grabbed a handful of plastic kitchen bags. It turns out plastic trash bags are a great resource to keep the foam cushions dry. 

From there I unzipped the pillow covers and tucked the foam cushions into a plastic bag. 

I tied the bag shut and placed the wrapped foam cushion back in the pillow covers.

That’s it! And, it works. The reality is when the rain penetrates the pillow cover (see above image) the cover dries after a morning of sunshine. But the foam cushion stays dry when encased in a plastic, kitchen bag.

Those wet cushions lead to fun stuff like mold spores. Who wants to sit on a cushion full of mold and mildew? 

The kitchen trash bags have stayed intact over several seasons of snow, rain, hail and sunshine!

And, a puppy!

Thanks for stopping by! Now go cover those patio cushions! 

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Everyday Edits

• Gale O'Neal

Does it make the plastic crinkle sound now when you lean or sit on the cushions?

• Everyday Edits

HI Gale, No it doesn't. It really is as easy and efficient as it sounds. I started doing this two summers ago and I have not had to replace a bag. laura

• Lex

i tried this, but In my hands the bags do make the crinkle noise. What’s your secret?

• Diane Greene

Sounds like a good idea, want to try, but Won’t mold form between the plastic and cover after sitting in the heat

• Mindshift

I'm glad the author found a way that works for her. However, not every outdoor cushion has a zipper opening. Even if you can cover the foam inside the cushion, if you live anywhere but a dry climate your cushions are still going to get dark algae growth on the outside. This is why I don't have any cushions on any exposed furniture, and why I regularly recommend against cushioned outdoor furniture unless it's under a roof.

• Lois

Love the idea. An congrats on the puppy. I have a 7 year old Austrian Sheppard who looks exactly like yours. They are the sweetest dogs.