DIY Faux Olive Tree

$45

Create an artificial olive tree for less than $50!

The love for olive trees is hot right now. I’m including myself in that count because let’s be honest, they are the perfect sophisticated addition to any room. And I will never turn down adding a plant or greenery to a space. My only issue was how expensive they are! Even the lower cost ones run over $100 and the idea of trying to convince my husband that it is an essential is laughable. So I set out to create one myself, on a budget. And now I bring you the DIY version of a faux olive tree.

Materials

• Olive Stems – I got mine from Hobby Lobby. They have smaller stems for $6.99 and bushier stems for $13.99. I got mine when they had all of their faux stems 50% off. I used a mix of the smaller and the bushier pieces, but overall you will need about the equivalent of 6 of the smaller to create the same look I did. 
  • Moss or Dirt
  • Branch – I cut one off a tree in our yard. Depending on the size you want you may be able to use a fallen branch. I recommend one with a few branches. Even better if there is a vine piece wrapped around. You could also use a wooden dowel wrapped in brown paper wrapping to make it look wood-like.
  • Floral Foam – I recommend having enough to secure your stem at the top and also down through the container to keep it in place. I only purchased a top piece and used cardboard and newspaper to secure the branch beneath it. It’s not as sturdy as using more foam would have been. Do as I say not as I did 😆.
  • Planter or container
  • Floral Wire
  • Brown Floral Tape

Step 1: Secure the Branch

Place your foam in the bottom of the container and push your branch through to secure. You will need enough foam to hold the branch tightly in the container.

Step 2: Secure the Foam

Make sure the sides of the foam are packed tight. I used newspaper and cardboard. Depending on the shape of the foam you use you may not need extra materials to secure. 

Step 3: Cover the Foam

Top the foam with the moss or dirt to cover. Dirt would make it look even more real!

Step 4: Attach your Faux Stems

Attach your olive stems to the branches using the floral wire or floral velcro.

Then cover with brown floral tape.

Done!

These faux olive stems from Hobby Lobby are very realistic and work perfectly for this DIY!

You can find this project, sources for the materials, and more on my blog  The Barn Collective and my Instagram account  here!