Easy DIY Sponge Paint Wall

$30

Try this sponge paint technique to make an accent wall unlike any other. Best part? It won’t cost much at all... especially if you already have paint on hand!

BEFORE

Materials

Step One

Cut a piece of sturdy cardboard out to be the base of your stencil. Mine is approximately 8”x4”. You can use a small scrap board or anything else you have on hand to substitute for cardboard if necessary. While completing this step plug in your hot glue gun so it’s ready in a few minutes!

Step Two

Draw 3 v’s on your piece of cardboard so you know where your sponges will go. I freehanded because I don't want perfection.

Step 3

Cut each kitchen sponge in half and glue them to the v’s you drew.

Step Four

Check to make sure each sponge is the same height so that your paint will be evenly applied. Trim if necessary.

Step Five

After giving your paint a good stir, dump a small amount in a tray. I’m using Petrol Blue by Dutch Boy.

Step Six

Using a paint brush, generously apply paint to each of the sponges. A small paint roller would also work.

Step Seven

Test your stencil on a piece of paper to make sure it’s to your liking. If you like it, you’re now ready to apply paint to the wall!

Step Eight

Decide where your rows will be placed by either marking the rows with painters tape or marking them with a pencil. I made a small mark where I wanted each row to go. This project is VERY forgiving so don’t worry about perfection.

Step Nine

Using your stencil, start applying your paint to the wall. Reapply paint as needed. I did about halfway down the wall, but I tried not to always apply more paint at the same point so avoid creating a dark area.

Step Ten

Once your wall is finished, you can go back and touch up as needed. I pulled a sponge off of my stencil and went over any areas that were too light.

That’s it! I’m going to be installing brackets and a shelf here so you can see the whole wall, but this will do for now! I hope you love this project as much as I did... it’s one of my all time favorites!

Such a FUN wall!

• Roy-Caroline Clark

Why would you use a chair to stand on?? Just asking...

• Valerie Burge

I stand on my chairs all the time. If its the right height for what I'm doing I find it easier than setting up a clunky ladder. LOL

• Jaq Segal

I’m not really into the “v” pattern; how else can you prepare the sponges for a different effect? If I had an artistic bone in my body I could probably figure that out on my own 🥴

• Trisha

I would cut out heart shapes, or even different sized circles. I’d also place the sponges differently. Her method certainly speeds up the project ; instead of using one stencil, you have six!

• Elvie Velasco Berry

Why did you chose that design?