Modern Fire Pit in 15 Minutes

$50

Who needs the hassle of building with bricks and cement when you can have a show stopping fire pit in 15 minutes flat?

We had this slightly dilapidated area in our back yard which is supposed to be a formal, geometric Italian garden. Somehow it never quite got to the symmetrical stage (getting plants to grow the same size is an art) and the centre was just a jumbled mess. But it is just off our back porch and protected by an beautiful ivy-clad stone wall - the perfect setting for a fire pit.

I took away the stepping stones and centre rocks but you may have a spot already that doesn’t need any preparation.

I then went to a garden cente and bought a giant (80cm/ 31”) round stepping stone and 3 concrete balls. As you can see below, my balls have pieces of rebar stuck in them (an extra idiot-proofing device that is necessary around here) but most come without.

I measured a triangle that complimented the stepping stone and drove the balls into the ground. This gives extra stability but considering the concrete’s weight,is hardly necessary. Then I simply placed the stepping stone on top.

Very important note: do not make fire directly on the concrete, it could crack from the heat. Instead I added a fire basket or a fire basket tray, which lifts the heat away from concrete. I must say I prefer the look of the tray but I suppose the basket is safer and more practical.

So easy, why I didn’t think of this before?!

• Alecia

Great idea! I wonder if I can replicate the round stones using strong plastic $1 tree bowls curved just right for a sphere and combine the 2 together. Then, while the cement is still drying and duck tape securing the 2 bowls, use my hot tool to burn a hole directly in the middle of 1 of the bowls to place rebar thru. Set the 2 bowls filled with cement, rebar end up, dry and cure, and then pop each bowl off. Sand the sphere smoothing out rough edges and use a cement sealer?? Will the place I buy rebar cut it for me? Do you foresee a failure in this idea I have? If so would you mind sharing your thoughts with me? TIA

• Was the garden center a national chain by chance? I’ve been trying to find round stepping stone and have been striking out.

• Thea

Sarah, maybe you should make them and post on Hometalk. Same with the balls.

• 2D

Help!!!

I’m loving this project!!!! The links at end of project send me to Amazon rather than the garden center you purchased the steppingstone & those magical cement balls!!!

can you share where you actually purchased? I’m able to drive to that store!!!!

thanks....

• Thea

Hi again, did you see the suggestion of bowling balls?

• Hanna

It looks great!

• 2D

these are two antique birdhouses I restored-- the first 2 shots are front & back... the 3rd shot is a tree stump & slice my neigjbor gave me...so I restored a 147 year old barnwood birdhouse! In the background is a faux painted faerie garden door I placed in a 'hobbit hole'....the doorknobs & keyhole are antiques...having fun this year!!!

I retired last 31 Dec @ 5pm!!!!

I will take photos of project ---like I did with birdhouses---& if they turn out...will have you teach me how to post!!!

thanks for encouragement!!!!!

• Thea

This is so cute! I love the combo of pink ,blue and moss green. You have great imagination and obviously some patience.

Posting is dead easy. I think you should see a green circle with ‘D’ written on it in the right top hand corner of your screen. That’s your specific profile pic. Click on it and then click on ‘Post a new project’. The rest is self-explanatory and easy to use. You write everything in ‘edit’ mode and then click on ‘preview’ to check and right at the end on ‘Post’. And don’t worry too much, I think Hometalk double checks everything. And if you don’t know click on the ‘support’ at the very bottom of the screen, they are very nice.

Make sure you have the pictures on the device you are using. I start my post on my Iphone because I take my pics with it. So I ‘stick’ my pics from my phone, then close everything and go back in on Hometalk from my home computer because the screen is bigger and I can use a mouse and keyboard. Hope this helps. Good luck with you retirement and projects!