Cork Garden Markers

$5

Have an over-abundance of wine bottle corks? Turn them into something useful for your next garden / flower garden planting project!

Why do you need garden markers?

A freshly planted vegetable garden is a labor of love and can be considered a "beautiful sight" by avid gardeners... however, what if you forget what what has been planted in specific areas/rows, etc.?! It can quickly become confusing and cause a gardening headache when it comes to proper pruning and plant care methods for specific varieties.

We just planted our first raised bed of vegetables this spring and I quickly realized that the little "store label tags" that came along with my six-packs of plants just wasn't going to cut-it for helping me remember where each plant was placed in the layout... I mean, if I had ample space to plant each variety in it's very own row, things would be perfect... but, that wasn't the case. Therefore, I had to get resourceful and create my very own garden markers! This was going to the be the perfect project to use some of the wine corks that I've long been savings for a project just like this!

Step 1 - Gather the Supplies to Make Wine Cork Garden Markers

• Wooden Skewer Sticks
  • Permanent Marker
  • Wine Corks
  • Cordless Drill with small drill bit
  • Clear Matte Spray (shown in a photo down below)

Step 2 - Pre-drill a hole in the bottom of cork

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Using a cordless drill and small drill bit, drill a small hole in the bottom of the cork. It is important to note that the diameter of the hole needs to be just slightly smaller than the wooden skewer... otherwise, the cork will not hold onto the skewer tightly enough to stay on.

Step 3 - Insert Wooden Skewers into Corks

Step 4: Label and Decorate Corks

Using a permanent marker, label and decorate the corks to the corresponding plants / varieties that need to be labeled in your garden.

Step 5 - Spray Clear Matte cover to protect the labeling

Over time, the permanent marker will fade under the outdoor elements... however, you can help the labels last the entire garden growing season by applying a couple of thin coats of this matte clear spray protectant to the the corks. **Be careful not apply too heavily, as a heavy spray can cause the marker to bleed and run. Also, be sure to let the first coat dry completely before applying the second.

Step 6 - Place the markers in the garden!

These are perfect for not only vegetable gardens like mine, but you can also use these in flower and herb gardens as well! I think it would also be a nice touch to add little secret messages hidden along in the garden as well. Get creative and add your own spin to wine bottle corks... then, share your photos with me in my "Sweet Home DIY Crafting & Home Decorating" Facebook group!

Like this project? Want to get more home decor & crafting ideas sent straight to your inbox?

Then,  CLICK HERE  to sign-up for my Extra Sweet Decor Email!

My promise to you... no spam, ever!!! Only great ideas to make your home even sweeter than before!

24 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
25 Fabulous Feather Projects That You Don't Want To Miss
14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
Dollar Store Gem Backsplash
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
3 Creative Eye Catching Rug Projects That No One Else Has!
15 Ways to Spice up Your Floors
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
My Sweet Home

• Linda Abate

This is such a great idea for the gardener. Not only great for identifying veggies, but also herbs and flowering plants. LOVE IT.

• Sofie

we use these as drum sticks in music lesson