DIY Macrame Palm Leaf

$30

Over the last few years I have been watching Macrame home decor gain in popularity. Have you ever seen a piece and thought, I bet I could make that. But then had no clue how to start? I’ll show you a quick and easy Macrame palm leaf or feather that you can make today!

Supplies

First, let’s gather our supplies

•5mm natural 100% cotton, macrame 3 strand twisted cording

•wood beads

•fabric stiffening spray

•Scissors

•measuring tape

•spray painr

•Hair Comb

Spray paint your beads. I used one bead on each leaf. This is were you add your creativity and design things the way you like. I painted mine brown to keep with a neutral/natural color theme.

Measuring

While the spray paint is drying on the beads, I like to move on to measuring and cutting the pieces of cording I’ll need.

Cording Cut List

The cut list and how many pieces you’ll need of each is as follows:

1 @ 24”

12 @ 12”

12 @ 10”

12 @ 8”

Now it’s time to start tying the knots. You’ll take the 24” strand. Fold it in half so you’ll have a loop at the top and two ends at the bottom.

Video How To...

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

This video will show you how easy it is to make this slip knot.

Take one two of the 12” pieces of cording. Fold each one in half. Place one loop under the 24” cording. Then the other half folded cording thread the loop up through the first and across the top of the 24” cording. Pull the bottom two loose ends through that loop. Pull both loose ends and there’s your knot.

Alternating Knots

Make sure you are alternating the knots to keep a zigzag type pattern but this also equalizes and balances the piece visually. Keep tying the knots until all the pieces have been tied.

Fraying

You’ll then untwist each strand (this is the most tedious part). Once they have been I twisted you will comb them out using a fine tooth comb or pet brush. I tied the ends on this one and then I tied it as it made the ends too short.

Stiffening spray

After they have been frayed. You’ll take your scissors and trim the edges So they are pretty and an even line, then spray each side with fabric stiffener. I let it dry for an hour before flipping to the other side to spray, them dry for an hour.

Last thing to do is thread the bead onto the top loop.

Finished product

These palm leaves could also be feathers. There is a variety of colors and thicknesses of cording. I just happen to like using the 5mm best.

Styling them in your home can range from making multiple palm leaves and stringing them onto a dowel for a wall hanging or placing a single leaf/feather in a table or tray. Be creative, make it yours and display it your way!

I used spray paint left over from another project, so I only had to purchase the cording, fabric spray and wood beads. I paid about $30 for the supplies and so far I have made 5 leaves. I estimate I will get 5 or 6 more out of the supplies I bought.

Check our our Instagram page for more home decor and DIY projects and ideas.

30 Gorgeous Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
Instantly Upgrade Your Living Space With These Amazing DIY Ideas
29 Ways To Get A Splash Of Blue In Your House
31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
3 Wonderful Ways You Can Upcycle Old Windows
Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
25 Decor Ideas That Will Add Some Spring to Your Home
25 Beautiful Things You Can Make With Rope & Twine
30 Neat Ideas To Upgrade Your Backyard
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home

To see more: http://www.instagram.com/beaus_and_belles/

• Nancy curtis

Could you explain paragraph six a little bit differently I don’t understand the last two sentences about where you said you tied the ends and then you tied the end I’m confused and I wanted to meet one of these legs for so long and yours is the easiest instructions I found thank you

• Joleen | Beaus and Belles

Hi Nancy. Auto correct has been super sensitive lately, looks like I need to edit that paragraph again 😍.

At the tip of the leaf I tied the last two pieces together, when I untwisted the strands it was apparent that tying them made them too short, so I untied them.

Thank you for catching that, I hope this helps 😍😍😍