String Light Patio Refresh

$300
1 Day

So we bought a camper this summer and we have been trying to refresh it to make it more of our own. When we bought it, it was pretty much move in ready, but we definitely wanted to change a few things and do a few projects to improve it and this was one of them. The outside landscaping was already pretty nice, but I knew it would be even more magical if we were able to add some outdoor patio lights around the yard. So we decided to do this quick DIY project one Saturday and make the yard into a perfect getaway spot! https://morningsonmacedonia.com/diy-string-light-patio-refresh/

This is what the yard looked like before.
We ended up getting rid of the bear here.
This is before we added the posts to the yard
Before we added the lights back here too

Materials Needed:

Shopping for all the materials
  • Posts
  • Patio Lights
  • Quick Setting Cement
  • Post hole diggers
  • Stain
  • Hanger for hanging basket (optional)
  • Personalized sign (optional)
  • Hanging basket (optional)

Decide Where to Place the Posts

So we measured all around the yard and decided where we wanted each post to be placed first. We ended up placing 3 larger posts and one smaller post beside one of the larger ones out front to hang up our personalized sign we got. We had a steel company make us a sign that says “Gentry’s Gatlinburg Getaway” which is what we call our camper. We wanted to make this the focal point so we put that at the very front of the yard. Depending on how big your space is, will determine how many posts and patio light sets you need. It’s much easier to measure it out first to be sure before you go out shopping for supplies.

Placing the posts around the yard

Place the Posts

My hubby used the post hole diggers to dig up a spot for each post to go. Once we placed it inside the hole, we poured the quick setting cement around the posts. This stuff is awesome because it doesn’t require any mixing! The next time it rains or you water it yourself, it will automatically set up! So that was a nice shortcut for this project.

Stain the Posts

After the posts have been placed, you can now stain them to whatever color you want. I used Minwax Early American and I love this color and how it turned out!

Here’s what our sign looked like before.

Hang up the Sign

And here is what it looks like after!

This is totally optional, but if you had a sign like this you wanted to display, you could hang it up on the posts too. Like I stated above, we had one tall post and one short post to put the sign on. So we hung up a hanger and a hanging basket on the other tall post side to make it look more balanced. We also connected the lights on the tall post side as well and that is where we started stringing them from.

Hanging up the lights!

Hang up the Lights

Now that the posts are in and stained, all that’s left to do is hang up the lights! We got the kind where you can directly screw them into the wood so we didn’t have to worry about having extra hooks for them. It made it much more convenient and easy to hang up!

Here’s the completed project!

Enjoy it!

All lit up!

Well that’s everything that we did to create this patio light refresh and I am loving how it turned out! It’s my favorite place to sit outside and enjoy a campfire at!

15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
3 Gorgeous Decor Projects In The Oh-So-Chic Geometric Style
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
3 Fantastic Step-By-Step Ideas What To Do With Pallets!
25 Christmas Wreath Ideas You Don't Want To Miss This Year
25 Impressive Ways You Can Update Your Ikea Purchases!
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
18 Ideas to Keep You From Feeling Blue
12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
Charity

• Jaci

I'm beyond impressed w/dividing the Hydrangea!! I had no idea that could be done!! TY!! Question; on your posts, do you have ideas for an English garden? I have a huge side yard & I've been putting in different perennials, but I want more color, texture, &NOT have to mow!! what are the best perennials bushes/flowers/plants for an English garden? Thank you!!

• Nancy

There are lots of websites showing how to plant English gardens, do an online search to get many ideas.

• Diane Crane

I would love to know - do you own the land? We have 2 Timeshares in Gatlinburg, so we are there every year. But having a permanent place for a camper really interests me. Love what you did!

• Charity

Thank you! We do! We bought the lot as well as the camper when we closed on it 😉

• Jane Watkins

Just so beautiful and tasteful!

• Joanie

An awesome getaway place!! Just a suggestion, on the top of your post you could add your lights from your flower beds.......I heard the spikes on the lights easily break off......this lady on this site, I think???......mentioned it and put them on the top of her post and they look pretty classy. Have fun!!

• Carole Atson

I recently bought a similar sign for my son. Because it has no background it is hard to see. He is going to make a background for it.

• Charity

Yes we are going to put some wooden slats behind it too to make it to where you can see ours better as well.