Stenciling a Tile Bathroom Floor

$125
2 Weeks
Advanced

In our pool house bathroom, the floor tiles were bland and dated with dirty grout. Since I have never done this before, I wanted to experiment on a bathroom floor that wasn't a primary one - master bedroom, for example. Though a bit time consuming I am extremely happy with the results. To see more about our historic property, click here.

The floor BEFORE

In searching for a stencil, I discovered that most over the counter ones were too small for my individual tiles.

Measure accurately

In selecting a stencil, you will need to determine whether you want the stencil to fit inside your tile, or do you want the grout to be part of the design. Since I really didn't want to see distinctive grout lines, I had a custom made stencil to fit both the tile and surrounding grout.

My inspiration

In retrospect, I selected a rather complicated stencil design, custom made by Royal Design Studio s. Up to this point I wasn't sure if I would paint it one color, two or more. But inspired by this blue and white vase, I began my color selection.

Sample

Before I began painting the floor, I practiced with some different colors on a sheet of artist paper. Here I determined what color would go where.

Use the right tools

Make sure you have good stencil brushes. Previously I had purchased some from Walmart and the bristles fell out during the painting process. This set is from Royal Design Studios.

Preparation is important

Even before painting the stencil, it is so important to prep the tiles. Using TSP (trisodium phosphate), the floors are thoroughly cleaned. Be careful using this product and follow the manufacturer's instructions. A clear rinse followed.

Protect the baseboards/walls

Using painter's tape, I taped off all the baseboards and around the toilet.

The Primer

Next, I primed the tile floor (tile and grout) with 2 coats of Zinsser's Bulls Eye 1-2-3 primer. Let dry according to manufacturer's instructions. After the primer dried, I painted 2 coats of the white base coat chalk paint.

In priming and painting the floor, I used a roller for the tile and a paint brush for the grout.

Choosing your paint

I used Behr Chalk Decorative Paint for both the white base coat and 2 shades of blue. For the 3rd blue, I blended white into the darker blue paint, until I achieved the lightest blue shade.

Secure the stencil to the floor with painters tape. Check and double check that your stencil is square to the tile.

By dabbing the stencil brushes into the paint (and then dabbing the excess on paper toweling), I carefully added the 3 shades of blue.

Stenciling partial tiles

Since all the perimeter tiles are not full tiles, you need to bend the stencil to fit. Securing with painter's tape helps a bit. Again, make sure your stencil is aligned correctly.

Work in progress

The floor AFTER

Once the tiles are stenciled and dry, then it is time to apply 2 coats of a protective sealer.

Apply the polyurethane (water based) and dry according to manufacturer's directions.

I cannot tell you how pleased I am with this floor. It was labor intensive as you are working on your knees or sitting on the hard tile floor. The bathroom had a total of 77 tiles (mostly partial ones around the perimeter). But I now think of it as a work of art!

To see a more in-depth tutorial, please visit my blog post here.

Make Your Kitchen Beautiful With These 15 Inexpensive Ideas
16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
20 Ways To Make Your Own Personalized Clock
Make Your Home a Winter Wonderland With These Stunning Ideas
3 Wonderful Ways You Can Upcycle Old Windows
Life at Bella Terra

• Virginia
    Virginia

Absolutely beautiful!

• Glenda
    Glenda

Is there anything I need to do to prep my grout before stenciling? I haven’t decided yet whether to cover the grout or keep it showing.

• P
      P

A friend chipped out all her old grout & re-grouted one bathroom floor - accidentally spilled toilet bowl cleaner in the second bathroom & found it cleaned the grout so well she only used that to clean the second bathrooms gorut -was a lot easier! Try it in an inconspicuous area first to see how your grout reacts if you decide to try it!

• Lisakay
    Lisakay

How is your floor holding up especially for cleaning or moping

You did an amazing job!!