Stenciling a Tile Bathroom Floor

$125
2 Weeks
Advanced

In our pool house bathroom, the floor tiles were bland and dated with dirty grout. Since I have never done this before, I wanted to experiment on a bathroom floor that wasn't a primary one - master bedroom, for example. Though a bit time consuming I am extremely happy with the results. To see more about our historic property, click here.

The floor BEFORE

In searching for a stencil, I discovered that most over the counter ones were too small for my individual tiles.

Measure accurately

In selecting a stencil, you will need to determine whether you want the stencil to fit inside your tile, or do you want the grout to be part of the design. Since I really didn't want to see distinctive grout lines, I had a custom made stencil to fit both the tile and surrounding grout.

My inspiration

In retrospect, I selected a rather complicated stencil design, custom made by Royal Design Studio s. Up to this point I wasn't sure if I would paint it one color, two or more. But inspired by this blue and white vase, I began my color selection.

Sample

Before I began painting the floor, I practiced with some different colors on a sheet of artist paper. Here I determined what color would go where.

Use the right tools

Make sure you have good stencil brushes. Previously I had purchased some from Walmart and the bristles fell out during the painting process. This set is from Royal Design Studios.

Preparation is important

Even before painting the stencil, it is so important to prep the tiles. Using TSP (trisodium phosphate), the floors are thoroughly cleaned. Be careful using this product and follow the manufacturer's instructions. A clear rinse followed.

Protect the baseboards/walls

Using painter's tape, I taped off all the baseboards and around the toilet.

The Primer

Next, I primed the tile floor (tile and grout) with 2 coats of Zinsser's Bulls Eye 1-2-3 primer. Let dry according to manufacturer's instructions. After the primer dried, I painted 2 coats of the white base coat chalk paint.

In priming and painting the floor, I used a roller for the tile and a paint brush for the grout.

Choosing your paint

I used Behr Chalk Decorative Paint for both the white base coat and 2 shades of blue. For the 3rd blue, I blended white into the darker blue paint, until I achieved the lightest blue shade.

Secure the stencil to the floor with painters tape. Check and double check that your stencil is square to the tile.

By dabbing the stencil brushes into the paint (and then dabbing the excess on paper toweling), I carefully added the 3 shades of blue.

Stenciling partial tiles

Since all the perimeter tiles are not full tiles, you need to bend the stencil to fit. Securing with painter's tape helps a bit. Again, make sure your stencil is aligned correctly.

Work in progress

The floor AFTER

Once the tiles are stenciled and dry, then it is time to apply 2 coats of a protective sealer.

Apply the polyurethane (water based) and dry according to manufacturer's directions.

I cannot tell you how pleased I am with this floor. It was labor intensive as you are working on your knees or sitting on the hard tile floor. The bathroom had a total of 77 tiles (mostly partial ones around the perimeter). But I now think of it as a work of art!

To see a more in-depth tutorial, please visit my blog post here.

31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home
Turn A Cake Pan Into A Shelf + More Clever Repurposing Ideas!
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
3 Gorgeous Decor Projects In The Oh-So-Chic Geometric Style
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
Life at Bella Terra

• Virginia

Absolutely beautiful!

• Glenda

Is there anything I need to do to prep my grout before stenciling? I haven’t decided yet whether to cover the grout or keep it showing.

• P

A friend chipped out all her old grout & re-grouted one bathroom floor - accidentally spilled toilet bowl cleaner in the second bathroom & found it cleaned the grout so well she only used that to clean the second bathrooms gorut -was a lot easier! Try it in an inconspicuous area first to see how your grout reacts if you decide to try it!

• Lisakay

How is your floor holding up especially for cleaning or moping

You did an amazing job!!

• Kathleen Walker

Wow! Really gorgeous! I commend your commitment on a job well well done!

• P

Shirley - rather than wish you could do it on your knees, why not paint a thin piece of plywood or moisture resistant board, on an easel or table/counter, then have that glued down onto your mobile home's bathroom floor - you might have to change the threshold to one that compensates for different levels, or pull up & re-nail quarter round moldings, but mine popped up with just a small crowbar & didn't even bend the nails - & there isn't that much in a bathroom!