Asked on Sep 2, 2020

What kind of glue do I use?

Deb KSimple Nature DecorCarrie @ Curly Crafty Mom
+18

I plan to paint floral foam(green styrofoam) then glue shells on to it. What kind of glue should I use to glue the shells on? I have read that E6000 isn't used for styrofoam, but is it ok to use it if I paint the foam?

• Redcatcec

I would use a hot glue gun.

• GrandmasHouseDIY

I agree on the hot glue gun idea if that's not an option I would see what kinds of gorilla glue are available for that specific application.

• Recreated Designs

Hi Susie, I would use a hot glue gun. The warm glue should have no problem sticking to the painted floral foam and then you can attach whatever you would like. Have fun!

• You'll have to do a tester on painting it but I'm not sure how well it'll stick. Test the hot glue too, it may melt the foam. You might try reading the labels of craft glues, or try a construction adhesive.

• Original Gorilla Glue will work just fine. I've often found things attached with hot glue pop off over time.

• Mogie

Craft foam for home projects is more often than not closed-cell foam. It works well with tacky glues that are sold from craft stores or in hardware stores.

Use tacky glue sparingly. It can take time to dry. Apply it in thin layers with an adequate drying time if attaching multiple structures together that need to be glued separately.

Unlike spray adhesive, this type of glue requires a lengthy drying time to cure and bond to the plastic. Some spray adhesives are ideal for thin sheets of foam that need to be layered or given a stiff feel or look. If you are simply coating craft foam to create an exterior sheen, spray adhesive may be a better bet than thicker tacky glue.

• Nan W.

Susie: a hot glue gun should work very well!

• Chloe Crabtree

You cannot paint floral foam. Why do you want to attach the shells to it? I would suggest a wood box instead of a piece of foam.

• Johnavallance82

Hello Susie,

Had you thought of using Double Sided tape for the job?

• Cynthia H

Hi! You could probably get a better base for your project. The foam you want to use crumbles easily and may come apart on you. I would suggest a round of wood or another hard surface to glue them on. There are things you can recycle or buy that are more durable, easier to paint and easier to glue. I think if you are using items you already have, the foam would be better suited for a different project. Good luck and stay safe!

• Flipturn

I doubt if double sided tape will hold the shells in place on floral foam, simply due to the weight and curved shape of the shells.

• Try regular super glue.

• Chas' Crazy Creations

Hot glue can work great, you can also use silicone

Hi Susie: I' use regular Elmers white school glue and a paint brush.

• Morgan McBride

I'd just use hot glue

• Dee

I like Loctite glues for everything their Power Grab works great

• Carrie @ Curly Crafty Mom

I'd use hot glue and if there is a lot of gluing involved, I'd get one of the inexpensive cordless glue guns! They make life easier and take longer glue sticks.

• Simple Nature Decor

This glue I used worked great on fabric wreath, you can paint as well.https://www.simplenaturedecorblog.com/the-secret-to-making-diy-oyster-shell-wreath/

• Deb K

Hello, I think hot glue gun would would fine, and it is paintable, If you don't have one of those, you could try the basic white glue you see in the stores, just wait till it is full dry before painting it.