Hosta Stem Placemats and Coasters

$0

When we moved into our new house, we were overwhelmed with the amount of hosta plants that popped up across our property in the Spring. Not knowing much about hostas, I thought they were just big, pretty green plants. But I was really surprised when they sent up big shoots of purple flowers on sturdy stalks!

But then the flowers faded. And all I had left were green stalks with dried seed heads sticking up. When I started cutting them off, I realized how sturdy the hosta flower stems (also known as flower scapes) were. After I cut a huge pile and left it in the yard for a couple weeks, the stems were still just as strong and sturdy as when I had cut them off. They reminded me of bamboo stalks.

I knew I had to find a way to repurpose the hosta stems because they were so strong.

And they are free!

So I used the Hosta flower scapes to make tropical placemats and coasters.

Supplies

• Hosta flower stems
  • Pruners
  • Yarn or twine
  • Scissors

Cut Off the Seed Pods

When cutting the hosta flower stems, cut as close to the plant crown as possible. It's better for the plant and it gives you a longer stem to work with.

Then, cut the seed pods off.

Figure Out the Size

Determine the size of the placemat, table runner or coasters you are making. Unless making small coasters, the size of your table runner will be influenced by the smallest size flower scape that you have. Because you can't make it longer than that!

Once you have determined the size, cut off all flower stalks to be the same length. Be sure to trim ends on both sides to be flat cuts. (You might have cut at an angle while trimming the plant, and you want to straighten out that cut edge.)

Line them Up!

Line up the flower stems as you would like them to lay. Pay attention to any slightly curved stems that might need to be on the outer part of the placemat.

Attach String

Tie a knot around the stem on the outside.

Weave

Start weaving the yarn or twine using a basket weave technique around all flower scapes. With your first piece of yarn, go over one stem, then under the next flower stem, then over the next stem, and so on. When you get to the last stem, tie a knot and cut off the excess.

Secure Stalks Together

For your next piece of yarn, tie another knot on the outer stem in a different location. Now, use the opposite method. Start weaving under the first stem, then over the next stem, then under the next stem, and so on.

Make as many weaves with yarn as you would like. You can weave the entire placemat for more stability. But at minimum, there should be two at each edge to keep the stems together.

Go Zero-Waste

This craft is totally zero waste! You can use the yarn scraps to put in a place where birds can use them for building nests. If you use twine or other natural material, it will decompose if put in a compost pile. The flower scapes will naturally decompose, too!

How Long Will It Last?

I've had mine for 2 weeks now. The stalks are still strong and sturdy!

More Tropical DIY Projects

Planning on hosting a tropical luau party? Or just like the look of the Caribbean islands? Then you'll want to see my other tropical-inspired DIYs, too!

The Best Nautical Home Decor Ideas To Try Right Now
25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning
21 Small Things You Can Do to Beautify Your Home This Weekend
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
15 Memorial Day Crafts
Single Girl's DIY

• Shelly Moore

Love this Idea!!! So Tropical!!! I have lots of Pampas Grass stems I cut down in the fall I've thought about weaving some of the long leaves but now I wanna make mats with the stems!!! I think you could put a sealer on them and make them last a little longer maybe. I'm gonna try this! 😁

• Shelly Moore

Oh oh oh! And picture or poster frames, trays, rugs, my wheels are spinning now! 😉