Create a Succulent Pumpkin Centerpiece

$30

Learn how to create a Succulent Pumpkin Centerpiece for fall or for your Thanksgiving table. They’re easy and fun to create and the succulents can be transplanted after pumpkin season.

Pumpkin Season is my favorite season and I’m sharing a fun DIY in celebration, Succulent-Topped Pumpkins!

Warning:

This project is easy and addictive and will have you returning to the garden center or ordering more cuttings online to create these centerpieces for your home or Thanksgiving table!

I’ve seen these Succulent Pumpkins all over Pinterest for several years now and this project seemed a little intimidating as I didn’t have any experience with succulents.

I’m happy to say that this couldn’t be an easier project for a succulent novice!

It does take a fair number of succulents for this project, but the good news is they will last for months on your pumpkin and when it’s time to trade in your pumpkin for boughs of holly in December, you can remove them from the moss and transplant them in another container.

In addition to succulents, you’ll need a pumpkin.

Choose one with a low stem or remove / cut your stem without damaging the pumpkin. You’ll also need some sphagnum moss or moss of choice. Sphagnum moss will absorb and hold moisture and which will help cuttings root.

You’ll also need some spray adhesive. Spray the back of your moss with adhesive and place it on the top of your pumpkin, lightly pressing down to help it adhere. When you have the moss foundation attached the top of your pumpkin, you’re ready for the fun part, adding your succulents!

I used a combination of succulents in pots I found at Lowe’s and succulent cuttings I ordered online. Using the cuttings is affordable as you can get a larger variety that way, and are easy to attach as they don’t have any roots.

When using pots of succulents, remove the dirt from the roots, cutting away most of the root, while trying not to cringe. :)

Note: If you have succulents that you can taking cuttings from, allow the ends to dry out and callous over before adding them to your moss, which will take about 4 days. If you order cuttings online, by the time you receive them, the ends will have dried and be ready to use.

To attach your succulents to your moss, you’ll need some glue. I used a hot glue gun, but you could also use a clear gel craft glue.The advantage of using a hot glue over a craft glue is that it dries almost immediately.

The above photo shows part of a plant that I divided into thirds after removing the dirt and cutting away most of the roots. Place a small amount of glue on the end and press into place onto your moss, making sure the little roots are covered or tucked out of sight underneath some larger succulent leaves.

Note: While the thought of using hot glue on the base or tip of a root cutting seems cruel, succulents are very resilient and it will not harm them. Apply a little glue on the base of the succulent to attach it to the moss.

To help fill in the space and to add some additional texture and interest, I added a few pine cones and some acorns for a touch of fall to my gray pumpkin.

After your glue is dry and everything is set, give your creation a mist of water.

Repeat twice a week to moisten the moss and hydrate any new little roots. Succulents are more at risk from being over watered than under watered.

Treat your Pumpkin Succulent Centerpiece like a houseplant:

• Place it by a window or sheltered porch area with indirect/filtered sunlight.
  • Protect it from freezing temperatures if it’s in a sheltered outdoor area and keep it away from blowing heat vents indoors, that would cause temperature fluctuations.
  • When you’re ready to retire your pumpkin for the season, remove the moss layer of succulents and repot together or separate the plants and pot individually using a Cactus / Succulent Soil Mix.

More photos and flower centerpiece inspiration at the blog link below.

15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
4 Chemical-Free Ways To Clean In Your Home
25 Decor Ideas That Will Add Some Spring to Your Home
The Cutest Ways to Decorate Your Front Porch for Easter!
Hide Your Couch's Wear and Tear With These Great Ideas
Mary @ Home is Where the Boat Is

• Cheryl
    Cheryl

How to display a group of small photos on a wall

1 comment
  • Karen Hyde
    Karen Hyde

So cute! I was very glad to hear that cutting the roots and putting glue on them wasn't harmful. Definitely a project to add to my to do list!