Asked on Oct 19, 2020

During a hard rain water leaks into room at floor level.?

2dogalCynthia HKmdreamer


The apartment has tiles And when rain falls after some time we will start seeing on top of the tiles and as time go's on the water increases and spread to other areas of the apartment. I need solution in fixing the problem soon. I will appreciate any of your suggestions in icing this .

20 answers
  • Mogie
    on Oct 19, 2020

    Have you talked to your landlord regarding this?

    Contact your states Rental Protection Agency

    You didn't say what state you live in so can't give you an exact site to help. But here is the address for Oregon.

  • Johnavallance82
    on Oct 19, 2020

    Hello Jeremiah,

    Are you the Owner or is it a rented home? If rented, call the Landlord Urgently!

  • Cynthia Carroll Hall
    Cynthia Carroll Hall
    on Oct 19, 2020

    Sounds like that should be your landlords problem, not yours. I would definitely report it to them. Water always finds a way in if there is a leak somewhere. It might run into more money than you want to spend. If you find the source of the leak, you can try and seal it with water proofing products. Good luck.

  • It sounds like there is a serious drainage problem. If this is a rental, it is the landlord's problem. Contact him/her immediately.

  • Ken Erickson
    Ken Erickson
    on Oct 19, 2020

    Agree with contacting the owner. They should want to fix it because it will affect their investment and they probably don't know there is a problem. IT may be as simple as fixing the threshold or other mitigation.

  • Chloe Crabtree
    Chloe Crabtree
    on Oct 19, 2020

    If this is a rental apartment, this is certainly not your responsibility, but the responsibility of the landlord. It sounds like me that the water is coming up from under the tiles.

  • Redcatcec
    on Oct 19, 2020

    All the others are right on, you might want to consider renter's insurance if you don't already have it.

  • Kathy Gunter Law
    Kathy Gunter Law
    on Oct 19, 2020

    Your landlord would be responsible for this but if you are having problems getting it addressed, check the door to make sure you have a good seal. Water may be seeping in under the bottom seal or around the edges. You could check by putting a towel there and see if that takes care of the issue.

    If not, you may have some flooding issue that is causing water to puddle outside and absorb in through the walls and/or floors.

  • This sounds like a major roof leak. This is something the landlord should be taking care of

  • Vimarhonor
    on Oct 19, 2020

    Hello. Is your problem at a doorway or a window? Or is it at the roofline.

    More information might be helpful.

    We had this problem at the corner of French doors on a elevated deck.

  • Dee
    on Oct 19, 2020

    Definitely take some photos and get in touch with your landlord. You have a leak somewhere and he needs to fix it.

  • Betsy
    on Oct 20, 2020

    Hi Jeremiah: This seems to be a problem that your land lord needs to address. Send him or her a text outlining the problem and asking for it to be fixed asap. If it isn't fixed or at least alleviated in a few days, text him again. If still nothing, contact the city and have them take a look at the problem. Then tell your landlord that you are going to hold rent back until it's fixed. Put this money in a separate bank account notated as rent so that if he takes you to court, you can show the court that the money is available once the problem is fixed. If he/she takes you to court for non-payment, I would counter-sue for damages to your belongings, if any. This is not your problem to fix, it's the landlords. The reason for texting is so that you have a timeline of what you sent to him/her and when and their response. Sort of like a modern paper trail. In the meantime, perhaps putting a piece of wood or door sweep would help. Good luck

  • Unique Creations By Anita
    Unique Creations By Anita
    on Oct 20, 2020

    You need to find the source of the leak and fix that first. I would not leave it to long because of mould. You might already have some behind the tiles.

  • Holly Lengner - Lost Mom
    Holly Lengner - Lost Mom
    on Oct 21, 2020

    You can find the leak, but your landlord needs to fix this problem asap so you don't get mold and/or damage the interiors.

  • Deb K
    Deb K
    on Oct 21, 2020

    Hello Jeremiah, definitely a problem with the structure, you should take pictures and contact the landlord or property manager, over time this can cause serious health issues as the ,moisture will create black mold which is deadly, among a ton of other problems. Please get on this soon!! A quick fix could be to build up the ground out side the building where you think the water is seeping in, slope it away from the building to help move standing water.

  • Carrie @ Curly Crafty Mom
    Carrie @ Curly Crafty Mom
    on Oct 21, 2020

    YES, definitely let the land lord know right away, because this will just get worse over time.

  • Maura White
    Maura White
    on Oct 25, 2020

    If this is an apartment, then this sounds like a problem for your landlord and not you.

  • Kmdreamer
    on Oct 26, 2020

    You need to see we’re it’s coming in and stop the leak plug it up or caulk it

  • Cynthia H
    Cynthia H
    on Dec 3, 2020

    Hi! That's what landlords and leases are for. If you don't report it, any damages may come out of your deposit. Good luck!

  • 2dogal
    on Apr 12, 2021

    Not your problem - it's the landlord's. You do need to report it though so it can be fixed. The sooner the better as water can do a lot of unseen damage.

Your comment...