Unused Mail Box FRAME Gets A Facelift

$21

We purchased our house 37 years ago and this mailbox was in the front yard. We have ALWAYS gotten our mail at the local post office and NEVER used this mail box except at Christmas when it got decorated. It looks really grungy but help is on the way. Now I know some of you are asking why keep it in the yard? We had considered switching to home mail delivery several times through the years but in this day and time with so much mail theft and identity theft, we just never have changed it. Anyway, during this pandemic, I have thought of more projects than I can do. It’s nothing for me to have 2 to 3 projects going simultaneously. But as a “southpaw” or left-handed person, I am always creating things in my mind. I literally have nights that it is hard for me to turn off my brain and go to sleep. Anybody else have this problem? Anyway, back to the mailbox.

The hubby and I were in Lowe’s recently and I spotted these lovely black hammered metal house numbers. Well, right there in Lowe’s, the wheels started turning in my head. So I purchased 6 numbers at $3.48 each. I literally got my idea for this project while in Lowe’s.

When we got home hubby started taking the mailbox completely off the stand. He pulled the remaining stand out of the ground. Concrete attached. The frame needed some extensive cleaning and to be repainted.

Hubby had a leftover plank of primed lumber here at home from another project and we decided the height, width, and depth that we wanted to use for the house number sign. This is the box for the holding our address number info. I put a coat of Rustoleum spray paint on the nails and screws to deter any rust before the final painting. I will give it several more coats just for good measure.

Well, I got the awfully dirty frame scrubbed with detergent and scrub brush and let it dry in the sunshine. I then used black Rustoleum spray paint to cover the frame. So far, I gave it three coats and allowed the paint to completely dry between coats. I used some white outdoor enamel paint and gave the box three coats of it. The box was then put onto the frame. Next came putting the house numbers onto the box. I knew that I wanted something ornate on the box top. I looked all over my house for something I could use. This was what I found. It is a metal lid that goes on a metal piece that I have had for many years. It was an off white color. So again, I grabbed my black Rustoleum spray paint that put four coats of paint onto it.

My vision of this project is now completed. Hubby and I both are happy with the final result. It has now been replaced back in the front yard. I went ahead and took this final picture even though it is overcast today. Quite a transformation. From ugly mail box to pretty address sign. Now on to another project.........Lol.

18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY
Hometalk's Top 10 Spookiest Halloween Picks Of 2017

• Virginia White
    Virginia White

This is really nice and I would love to try it.

Questions: So, is the actual mailbox inside the wood box? What about the red flag for outgoing mail? And the flag for mail that has been delivered? Is this USPS regulation size? Pictures of the front would be nice, also.

• Taf
    Taf

Very nice. The finished product looks gorgeous. I imagine your neighbors are envious... :-)

• GeorgiaBulldogsFan
      GeorgiaBulldogsFan

Hi Taf. Thanks so much for your kind words. We have gotten several positive compliments since we completed it.

• Janice
    Janice

Great looking house number sign you've created. I bet people easily find your home when provided the address. Thanks for sharing your update.

• GeorgiaBulldogsFan
      GeorgiaBulldogsFan

Hi Janice. Thank you so much for your kind words. We have received very nice praise from friends and family. Makes us very happy.