Dresser Makeover With Faux Caning

$100

Ive been eager to try caning on furniture but I didn't realize how expensive it was and hard to find. I really wanted that woven textured look for this $60 yard sale dresser I was planning for the nursery so I decided to use PLACEMATS instead!

Before

After!

Sand

As with any project its always a good idea to sand before painting to help the paint adhere. This stain was pretty thick so I just roughed it up as much as I should.

Faux Caning

I wasnt sure if this was genius or crazy but instead of expensive caning I found these woven placemats on Amazon. I hoped this would give me the texture I wanted on the drawer faces.

$14.99 for a pack of woven placemats on Amazon

Cut trim

Because I didnt want to deal with seams and a single placemat didnt cover the whole drawer, I decided to add some trim to cover the gaps. I cut all my pieces with a miter saw so I could paint them before adding to the dresser.

Paint

I used a paint sprayer to put on a few coats of white paint. My first time spraying and I dont think I’ll ever go back to hand painting! This Homeright sprayer is affordable and simple to use.

Add “caning”

Next I cut my placemats to size and used liquid nails to attach them to the drawer fronts. I made sure to only use a thin amount so it didnt seep through the placemats.

Add trim

Here I was dry-fitting the trim to make sure it covered where the placemats didnt. I then painted it white to match the rest of the dresser before attaching.

Its coming together! I used liquid nails again to adhere.

Update Hardware

One of my favorite ways to update Furniture is to swap out the hardware for something more modern and unique. I picked these up at Hobby Lobby.

Heres a close up! Plus the kitten we found abandoned in our flower bed and have been hand raising.

Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day

• Zsuzsi
    Zsuzsi

The confetti spray when I hit the "Wow" is FANTASTIC!!!

I keep 'un'WOWing, so i can reWOW and watch the spray. Is it a GIF that I can add to my page? Thanks

Oh, yeah: the original reason i came here was to see your dresser redo; I LOVE this project! Thank you for sharing.

• Janie
      Janie

A really beautiful transformation! Bravo! All those miter cuts would be so off putting to me, I’m afraid I’d never get this many cuts done!

• Sherry
    Sherry

Love it! ❤️

• Miranda
    Miranda

In the resource / materials you show trim that's flexible and used for replacing chalk, where did you use that?

• Nel49996543
    Nel49996543

I did that to my kitchen cupboards using a ratan looking washable wallpaper. They were still looking fresh when we sold the house 15 years later.

• Michelle
    Michelle
    Just now

You did an amazing job!!

It looks so high end. I bought a paint sprayer at a church rummage sale and I have been afraid to use it- but you have inspired me!