Blue Milk Paint Dresser

$50

I painted my son's dresser with milk paint-- a brand I had never tried before. It comes in a powder and you add water. It was a good experience and I want to tell you all about it!

This is the brown dresser I started with.

Dresser Before

I took off the hardware to paint it. I also lightly sanded the dresser by hand.

After mixing the powder according to the directions, I began painting one coat on the dresser. There were no brush marks to worry about!! I was going for a look that let the wood show through. Otherwise I could have painted 2 coats to completely cover the wood.

For more creative ideas for paint projects (including spray paint), be sure to visit these Paint Project Inspiration Ideas.

After one coat of paint had dried (and it dried quickly), I applied hemp oil. Hemp oil does not go rancid. It turned the color darker (which I expected since I had practiced on a wooden picture frame).

I wet sanded the dresser with fine sandpaper while the oil was wet. Then I wiped the oil off with a rag. I reattached the hardware and voila! The dresser turned out like I had imagined!! I was so happy with it!

Dresser, AFTER!

For a lot more details, including a video and questions and answers about milk paint for beginners, please visit my original post at Blue Milk Paint Dresser.

31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:
20 Ways To Improve Your Drop Cloth
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning
29 Ways To Get A Splash Of Blue In Your House
Hometalk's Top 10 Spookiest Halloween Picks Of 2017
Liberty Brammer

• Amanda
    Amanda

How is the paint holding up?

• Shelley
    Shelley

Why not update the hardware instead of the dated hardware..... just a thought....

• Rita Hendricks
      Rita Hendricks

Looks like she cleaned the tarnish from the hardware... it definitely looks much brighter than the B4 picture

• Lisa
    Lisa

Nice!!

What would happen if you did not do the hemp oil?

• Lisa
      Lisa

I like the light color, so maybe I would try the furniture wax.

Thank you!!! That was helpful.