Ribbon Angel Christmas Ornaments

$5

My mom was very crafty. She was particularly known for her crocheting, especially the beautiful crocheted blankets and dish towels she made.But, I also have several other cute crafts that she made and gave to us over the years, including these sweet little Ribbon Angel Ornaments.

After she and my dad passed away, we sorted through my mom’s Christmas stash, and I ended up with this tote.

At first, I thought it was just spools of ribbons, but after closer inspection, I was thrilled to realize it was all of her supplies to make these little ornaments.It even included her hand-written notes on how to construct them, as well as reminders about to whom she’d gifted them.

Being able to use my mom’s instructions, and even some of her materials, made this craft extra special.

Make the Body

Measure and cut an 8-inch length of wired ribbon for the angel’s body. You can use whatever ribbon you prefer, but I like the 2.5 inch wide ribbon best for the body.

Apply a thin line of hot glue to the edge of the wired ribbon section, fold in half, pinch with your fingers and gather to create a loop.

Cut a 9-inch piece of the 1.5″ wide ribbon to use for the wings.

Fold the ribbon for the wings so that the two outer edges meet in the middle.

Apply a thin layer of glue in the middle and press the two edges down to seal in place, carefully pinching the middle with your fingers to gather. Be careful of the hot glue!

Attach the Body, Wings and Head

Turn ornament upside down and attach the wings to the ornament cap with the glue gun.

Add more glue to the top of the ornament cap, and press the wide body ribbon into the glue to attach.

Add the Neck Bow

I used a 20-inch piece of twine for the bow, because I wanted enough length for it to flow and curl. If you’re using ribbon, you may prefer a shorter piece. This part is totally up to you and the look you’re going for.

Add the Halo & the Hanging Cord

My mom didn’t put a halo on hers at all, and they were still adorable.I decided to use twine for the halo, since I was using twine for the bow already. Pipe cleaner would work really well, too, and look cute–especially the sparkly kind!To make the halo, I cut a 3-inch piece of twine, formed a circle, and held it in place with a small dab of hot glue near the back/top of the head.

I used 8 inches of twine to make a hanging loop, per my mom’s instructions.Unfortunately, in this one, I forgot to attach it before gluing on the wings, so here, it’s more visible on the back.In subsequent angels, I glued it on to the back of the head, before attaching the wings, for a more polished look.

I also then pressed it in to the same dab of glue that holds the halo on, for even more staying-power.

Customize!

On some of my angels, I glued buttons on the front for an extra bit of detail.

I used a variety of ribbon patterns and sizes, to make coordinating angels with a "farmhouse" vibe that suits my style.

The original angels that my mom made years ago are more traditional though, so customize your angels to fit your style and preference. There are so many possibilities!

Visit me at The House on Silverado for more fun projects like this, including several Christmas crafts!

If you liked this post, you may also like my Rustic Farmhouse Wood Christmas Trees and my Wood Tree Circle Ornaments Made with a Wood Burning Pen!

Happy Holiday Crafting,

Niky @ The House on Silverado

Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
4 Chemical-Free Ways To Clean In Your Home
Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
25 Beautiful Things You Can Make With Rope & Twine
Super Cool Painting Techniques You've Probably Never Seen!
Niky | The House on Silverado

• Chris
    Chris

What size are the Christmas balls used for the head?

• Chris,

I'm sorry for the delay in answering your question! I looked on the package and it does not list a size. I'd say they are about as big around as a walnut in its shell.

I saw some at the Dollar Tree recently, that came in a multipack.

Hope that helps.

• Judy Olds
    Judy Olds

Going to save this cute idea for next year. Your story that you found the supplies and instructions among you mothers things brought joy to my heart, God bless you.

• Thank you much for taking a minute to leave me a comment, Judy. Yes, finding these supplies and then using them to recreate one of my mother's crafts made me very happy. ❤️

I hope you'll enjoy making these angels, too.

• Jeanne Fareri
    Jeanne Fareri

adorable

great use of ribbon

thanks fo sharing