Cornstarch Heart Garland

$8

Last year, I set out to go outside of my comfort zone and decorate for the day of love – but on a major budget! Why? Because while I’m willing to spend a little more for big holidays and seasons like Fall and Christmas, I’m not willing to shell it out for smaller. So today I bring you the fruits of my efforts – my budget Valentine’s decor!

Head to my blog for more inspo (plus a FULL video of this DIY)!

The best part is just a few batches can make a ton of hearts that you can use like I did as a garland, or as individual ornaments. Use a Christmas tree or maple leaf cookie cutter, and you can repeat this project fo Fall, Christmas, or any other holiday!

Step 1: Mix together:

• 1 cup cornstarch
  • 2 cups baking soda
  • 1.5 cups water

Then heat over medium to high heat and mix constantly until the mixture is like pasty mashed potatoes and pulling away from the sides of the pan. 

Step 2: Remove from heat, allow to cool for about 5 minutes. Use some flour on your counter or whatever surface you will be using to roll the dough. Dump out your dough and roll out using a rolling pin (it helps to put some flour on your rolling pin too if it's sticking) until your dough is about 1/4" thick.

Step 3: Use a heart shaped cookie cutter to cut out your ornaments and carefully peel away the excess. Use a toothpick at the top of the hearts to make a hole for your twine

Step 4: Lay on parchment paper and bake at 175 degrees for 1-2 hours (depending on thickness), flipping every 20-30 minutes. Check on your ornaments often - if they start cracking significantly, remove them from the oven. If they are still not hardened, turn down the heat and bake a bit longer.

Step 5: Once cooled, use your twine to create a garland (or ornaments) however you like!

Step 6: I also used yarn on some of my garlands to make them a bit more fesitve!

But you can see on this one, I left it plain for a more simple look.

And that's it! Simple, easy, and CHEAP Valentine's day decor!

Enjoy! And I hope to see you over on my blog (where there is also a full video of this process)! And If you are interesting in starting your OWN blog, I'd love to see ya in my free training HERE on how to launch your blog in 90 days without wondering where to start or how to grow!

Here's How You Can DIY The Hottest Home Decor Trends of 2018
18 Wintery Wreath Ideas That You'll Want To Make For Your Home
24 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
Ana Ochoa - Fiddle Leaf Interiors

• David Potter
    David Potter

Can you color the hearts?

• Melissa O'
    Melissa O'

Do these weigh less than clay ornaments?

William

Probably slightly lighter than clay. Also much cheaper than clay

• Kathy King
    Kathy King

Do you have a tutorial for the gorgeous roses hung from these garlands?

• Kathy King
      Kathy King

When I make these for Valentine this year, I will search out some beauties and try drying the roses, too! Thanks for the quick reply and wonderful ideas!