DIY Board and Batten Bedroom Wall

$150
1 Day

We added this DIY Board and Batten Bedroom Wall to our master bedroom and it completely transformed our room. The project was really inexpensive and relatively easy to complete. You can see more at hootshack.com

This was our wall before we got started.

Install hardboard panels with a brad nailer for a smooth surface. If you don't use hardboard panels first, your wall texture will show. That may not bother you but I wanted a smooth surface.

We strategically had the panels cut to line up the seams where we wanted the batten boards to go. We cut holes for the light switch and the power outlets. Our ceilings are 9' high.

I've heard that some home improvement stores have white hardboard but we could only find brown. We added 1 x 4 boards over the seams starting with the horizontal boards first.

We used sandable wood putty to smooth out the seams and then sanded it down. It's a lot of work and a mess. You could just seal it with caulking and I think it would work just fine. We also caulked between every board and batten before painting everything white.

This is our finished board and batten bedroom wall. I love the way it turned out. I still can't believe we did this ourselves.

xoxo,

Denise

https://hoostshack.com

31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
17 Benches You Can Build This Summer
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
15 Genius Ways to Organize Your Bedroom
Denise - Hootshack

• Ellen
    Ellen

Hi, looks very nice. Why didn't you paint the headboard? It would look Fabulous painted black!!!

• Maureen May
      Maureen May

Your bedroom is totally transformed, I love it. My brain is ticking away now with ideas, I want to uplift my boring bedroom! 🌹

• Vicki DeVries
    Vicki DeVries

Did you remove the floor trim first?

• Denise - Hootshack
      Denise - Hootshack

My baseboards don't show so I didn't remove them first. I did something similar in another room and I did remove the baseboards and then installed new ones that had no shape or bevel so the board and batten didn't stick out past the baseboards. I hope that helps.