German Schmear Fire Place (room Makeover)

$50

Hello again..

Another fun project at the new house, I was so nervous about tackling this huge fireplace wall, it’s not something you can turn back from.. once you schmear it it’s forever.

This picture is from the house listing when, when we first settled for this house I said this room would be the first room I’d makeover.

Starting from the paneling walls that I painted white, then moving to the removal of old shelves from around the fireplace.

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

I used Thin Set, it comes pre mixed and in small buckets so you can use a grout bag and work it as if you were decorating cupcakes.

I filled in the grout gaps and then used my fingers to smear it on the bricks.

Repeat as necessary...

As always, toddler was there for moral support. Because he thinks everything I do is perfect. 😍

Let me side track for a second to show you some thrift store art I got for a few bucks..

NEXT, paint the fireplace frame

Prep is key right? Takes the longest but ensures a clean result. This murder-y room scene was worth it.

Here’s the black box frame, I left the gold/brass details on the doors as is.

Its already added so much more character to the whole fireplace.

But I still wasn’t done..

let’s keep going.

This room has pocket doors to the family room, they’re old style plain brown doors.

I found French doors for $20 on Facebook Marketplace. I painted the doors black.

TADAAAA!!!!!

😍

I’m so in love with the results. This entire room is so much brighter now.

We’ve been enjoying this space so much more now, before it was just a forgotten room in our house right there in the middle of everywhere.

I think I’m adding built ins to here to make it a small library/study room for us to read a good book and enjoy a fire.

I mean, this is an entire room makeover with two ingredients (lol) Paint and Thin Set

3 Great Projects To Flip Your Cookie Sheet Pans
21 Stunning Wreaths for The 4th of July
30 Creative Painting Techniques & Ideas You MUST See
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home

• Eileen
    Eileen

You did a great job. I have the same room with the dark paneling, orange brick and the beams. I love the beams and had also considered the smear for the fireplace. I have questions about the paneling. How did you paint it - spray paint or brush/roller? My paneling is extremely rough/raw, I'm not sure of the best way to cover it. Was your paneling smooth? Thanks for any advise you could give me.

• Sammy Pampani
      Sammy Pampani

Hey, my paneling was not smooth. Specially the gaps, I had to use a small craft brush to paint them and it took a few coats.

I rolled It instead of spraying and it took 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of paint.

if you have the patience to tape/prep I’d advise spraying it 😅

• Amber
    Amber

WOW! Beautiful!!!! What a clean gorgeous look!!! Go Girl!!!

• Patricia
    Patricia

Love, love, love this makeover!!