How to Hack Boho Kitchen Island Lights - 804 Sycamore

$30

In

DIY

How to Hack Boho Kitchen Island Lights

These boho kitchen island lights are my favorite DIY! These three darling lights took only 15 minutes to make and attach! And the price at $10 each makes it my kind of hack. It all started when we selected our lighting package for our home. I had five packages to choose from and I picked the best out of five packages I didn’t care for. We always knew we’d work on changing out lighting fixtures as our budget allowed, but the existing island lights drove us all nuts. My teenager called them plate lights – it’s pretty accurate too. The kitchen island lights would need to be the first to go, thus began the search for their replacements. And after searching the Internet for brass kitchen island lights and realizing that none of them were in the budget I started brainstorming a temporary solution. I had also been admiring all the basket light shades, they’re gorgeous and add so much warmth and texture to a kitchen with its hard surfaces and appliances. I’m so excited to show you how to hack boho kitchen island lights with these Threshold baskets for only $10 each. They are 12″ in diameter and super easy to transform into a shade – I even love the natural shade shape of these beauties. So, until I can get my brass pendant lights, we will enjoy and love our new boho basket lights!

Before I get to it, have you seen the prices on basket (rattan, bamboo, wicker, etc.) light shades? They’re pretty steep considering they’re just baskets. I’m sure the gorgeous boho style has increased their demand, but I had to try a more affordable approach. This hack is pretty straight forward, but I’ll list out the steps and you can watch the super short video too. Just be sure to be careful when using a utility knife or any cutting tool. And my existing kitchen island pendant lights were perfect for adding a new shade to, but I realize this won’t be the case for everyone. Before I even went on the hunt for baskets, I made sure I could easily disassemble the pendant light and understand how it was put together. I quickly realized how easy it would be to add a thin basket to my crazy plate lights.

How to hack boho kitchen island lights

1. Carefully cut of the Threshold basket handles.
  2. Flip basket upside down and line up the base socket to the middle of the bottom.
  3. Use a sharpie to trace a line around the base socket.
  4. Carefully use a utility knife to cut along the sharpie mark.
  5. Add the basket to the light fixture and secure by screwing on the base socket.
  6. Then add your light bulb.

This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links at no extra cost to you. Thank you for your consideration in using my links!

Threshold basket This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links at no extra cost to you. Thank you for your consideration in using my links!

I used the pendant light screw that holds up the crazy plate shade to trace the exact shape I need to cut out to fit this basket as the new shade.

Carefully cut around the traced line and then trim any basket hairs around the outside of the basket.

Well, that’s pretty much it – super easy and really affordable. I just love the way these look in-person. I was a little worried that my husband wouldn’t appreciate the look, but he thinks they look awesome – and that says a lot! I hope this post encourages you to think of alternative ways to create the look you love for less, and to have some fun doing it. Be sure to subscribe to receive my decorating and DIY inspiration.