Tomatoes and their need for water

2.26M Views
I started May 28th planting 4 tomatoes around a garbage can with holes drilled in the bottom rim and a second row up about 10 inches. I buried the can to where the top holes just barely were above the ground, put in two shovels full of compost, then I fill the can up with water ever 2 days and tried not to water the leaves.
These four plants are now 5 ft 4 inches in less that a month and a half and loaded with green tomatoes and about a hundred sets of tomato blossoms.
  • tomatoes and their need for water, gardening, May 28th 2012
May 28th 2012
  • tomatoes and their need for water, gardening, End of June toping the 3 ft cage
End of June toping the 3 ft cage
  • tomatoes and their need for water, gardening, July 9th after a week of record high temps and very little rain the plants here are loaded with tomatoes inside the cage and full of blooms too
July 9th after a week of record high temps and very little rain...the plants here are loaded with tomatoes inside the cage and full of blooms too!

Suggested materials for this project:

• 3popps
      3popps

Very interesting. Never thought of watering veggies this way. Sounds like you have a bumper crop. Yum.

• PAULINE K
        PAULINE K Corinth, MS

My husband loves this idea. How big are the cans? The first set of hols are drilled at the bottom of the cans and then 10 inches up? Then bury the can where the top holes were just above the ground. Correct?