Tomatoes and their need for water

I started May 28th planting 4 tomatoes around a garbage can with holes drilled in the bottom rim and a second row up about 10 inches. I buried the can to where the top holes just barely were above the ground, put in two shovels full of compost, then I fill the can up with water ever 2 days and tried not to water the leaves.
These four plants are now 5 ft 4 inches in less that a month and a half and loaded with green tomatoes and about a hundred sets of tomato blossoms.
May 28th 2012
End of June toping the 3 ft cage
July 9th after a week of record high temps and very little rain...the plants here are loaded with tomatoes inside the cage and full of blooms too!

• Laura Salvatore

Did you put the compost in the bucket, and then add water?

• Sherry

Is it difficult to pick the tomatoes when ripe?

• Donna

I love this idea! It reminds me of a garden I planted years ago with the compost bin in the center of a circular garden!

• Deanna West

When my tomato plant gets big enough to transplant to the garden, I have always put a small bucket with drilled pretty small holes on the bottom half of the bucket but not too many holes, maybe 3 or four because you want it to slowly feed not all at once. this will stretch out the watering times just a bit. or cut the tops off of 2 liter bottle, either make slices with a utility knife or drill tiny holes 2 or 3 and put it down into the dirt (put at least 6 inches down) next to the plants so that way I'm watering the roots not the leaves. NOTE# I use ONE 2 liter bottle per plant or one bucket per 3 plants ALSO be sure to make sure leaves or small clippings have not fallen into the bucket or bottle, this will clog your holes and prevent water from seeping out properly. Good luck and happy planting!

• Linda

I always plant a fish under my tomato plants. Acts as a fertilizer.