Tomatoes and their need for water

I started May 28th planting 4 tomatoes around a garbage can with holes drilled in the bottom rim and a second row up about 10 inches. I buried the can to where the top holes just barely were above the ground, put in two shovels full of compost, then I fill the can up with water ever 2 days and tried not to water the leaves.
These four plants are now 5 ft 4 inches in less that a month and a half and loaded with green tomatoes and about a hundred sets of tomato blossoms.
May 28th 2012
End of June toping the 3 ft cage
July 9th after a week of record high temps and very little rain...the plants here are loaded with tomatoes inside the cage and full of blooms too!

Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
3 Gorgeous & Easy Projects to Help You Decorate for Fall

• Josephine Fowler
    Josephine Fowler

Can I start my tomatoes now grow from the seedlings I started the 1 of August?

• T B
      T B

Depends on where you live. Tomato plants will die if it freezes. I have started seedlings in the Spring and harvested all Summer then cut the plants back in late Summer when it got too hot. About 1/2 of them are still alive now and are producing tomatoes again.

• Marilyn
    Marilyn

What size trash can?

• Rhonda
    Rhonda

Is the 4 ft circle for the 13 gallon can or the 5 gallon bucket? Thanks

• Mike Andre
    Mike Andre

Hi James, What diameter holes do you drill in the plastic and about how many holes do you drill around the circumference of container?

• Ian Mugoya
    Ian Mugoya

Water filter will always be my happy place. The designs, durability and price will be one that pulls you to a particular material. I highly appreciate the content presented above

• Nancollards
      Nancollards

Well now you have me wondering where water filters come in??