James Bryan C
James Bryan C
  • Crab Orchard, KY

Tomatoes and their need for water

I started May 28th planting 4 tomatoes around a garbage can with holes drilled in the bottom rim and a second row up about 10 inches. I buried the can to where the top holes just barely were above the ground, put in two shovels full of compost, then I fill the can up with water ever 2 days and tried not to water the leaves.
These four plants are now 5 ft 4 inches in less that a month and a half and loaded with green tomatoes and about a hundred sets of tomato blossoms.
tomatoes and their need for water, gardening, May 28th 2012
May 28th 2012
tomatoes and their need for water, gardening, End of June toping the 3 ft cage
End of June toping the 3 ft cage
tomatoes and their need for water, gardening, July 9th after a week of record high temps and very little rain the plants here are loaded with tomatoes inside the cage and full of blooms too
July 9th after a week of record high temps and very little rain...the plants here are loaded with tomatoes inside the cage and full of blooms too!

• Paul Capriulo

YES MY QUESTON IS CAN I USE HORSE OR COW MANURE

• Car33830695

I have three different kinds of tomato plants modern from a local Nursery the smallest plant which are tomatoes from Italy

I have a huge tomato plant out of the three that I planted six and a half feet tall I give him an Epsom salt once a month fertilize them with Miracle Grow and cheat my eye open for those grasshoppers that are pretty much destroying everything in my garden well then I started using diatomaceous earth I also just started using vegetable oil small flat little containers to ward off those armies of pincher bugs or earwigs as they are called.

So between the earwigs and grasshoppers I've been fighting the battle for about 2 months to salvage my garden my Beats are totally riddled with holes like somebody took a shotgun to the leaves stuck between using my bug zapper and oil in containers and a squirt bottle full of hot sauce garlic and vinegar I'm slowly and that means slowly beating those Critters back I finally found a couple of praying mantis but that poor little puppies are too small to fight anything