Tomatoes and their need for water

I started May 28th planting 4 tomatoes around a garbage can with holes drilled in the bottom rim and a second row up about 10 inches. I buried the can to where the top holes just barely were above the ground, put in two shovels full of compost, then I fill the can up with water ever 2 days and tried not to water the leaves.
These four plants are now 5 ft 4 inches in less that a month and a half and loaded with green tomatoes and about a hundred sets of tomato blossoms.
May 28th 2012
End of June toping the 3 ft cage
July 9th after a week of record high temps and very little rain...the plants here are loaded with tomatoes inside the cage and full of blooms too!

• Jan Brewington

What size of drill bit did you use for your holes in the bucket?

• Liv

What instructions for when it rains? Plants are being watered from top in that case and all resources I have read indicate this isn’t the way to water. My plants are also located in my main garden, therefore, will be in the range if the sprinklers we have for all other garden plants and veggies. Plzzzzzz, help!

• Sandra K Pilon

They are being water from bottom when using this planting method and most likely others as well but water from the heavens rarely if ever is a cause for worry for gardner's unless of course it should be one of those 8" in an hour deluges. Likewise, a little bit of water from a sprinkler system shouldn't be a major problem.

• Brenda

I JUST HAVE 1 QUESTION :-) dO i PUT THE COMPOST IN THE WATER BUCKET or is it for the plants? If the compost does go in the bucket, will it need to be added to at a later date?

novice gardener :-)

• T B

Great ideas for tomatoes especially with the compost tea! I would make the wire cage a little larger In diameter or plant fewer tomatoes around the can. That way, the plants have more room to breathe and the harvesting will be easier.

• Gabrielle Falk

Living in Sydney, Australia we experienced a dreadful summer, just gone. Bushfires everywhere, animals being burnt - koalas, kangaroos, brumbies - horried - so I decided not to plant anything. We also had severe water restrictions - basically no water with hoses, and only buckets before 10am and after 4pm. So I am most definitely going to adopt this way of watering tomatoes, and using wire to stop them from becoming 'straggly'.