Marrying 1940's Antiques

I love antique furniture and the table was a 1949 number which originally had a glass inset on top. Poor little thing was sitting unloved in my attic for the past 8 yrs. since my mom passed away. She had a picture of me sitting on it as a child.
The top view shows it's state when I brought it downstairs a few months ago and debated what to do with it. Well, two weeks ago I decided to sand it all down except the insets and the top, using my little mouse sander and some good, old fashioned elbow grease.
The sanded areas got a coat of Burnt Sienna transparent stain rubbed in with a sponge, being careful to wipe it out of the insets.
Then I decided to use my uncle Donnie Ray's 1940's marbles. He was Mom's brother and passed away at age 12 in 1948.
Now came the tough part. I glued each marble to the tabletop, trying to blend color to color. I was adament about trying clear resin on a project and this was perfect for that. First though, I ran masking tape around the top in case it came above the edge.
I carefully followed directions, mixing two quarts of resin to hardener, then pouring over the surface, spreading and tilting table gently to reach all areas.
In my eagerness, I forgot to tape off under the edge of the top, silly me, and resin started dripping down the sides and legs.
What to do??? Well, I just started to spread it around all over sides and legs until it stopped dripping.
And voila! My new old coffee table is completely coated with clear resin, giving it a hard coating I don't need to wax or worry about restaining. And I think it looks great.
Project completed in 10 days at a cost of about $55 for resin.

Questions on this post

1  question

Comments

17 of 39 comments
Next