Jaime LaPlant
Jaime LaPlant
  • Menominee, MI

DIY Pottery Barn Inspired Hudson Queen Sized Bed

$100

I wanted to make myself a new bed. I looked at several different plans, but I couldn't find one that I really liked everything about. So, I drew up my own plan. This is what I came up with and the cost of the wood to build this bed was under $100! If you already have a bed frame, you could build this for under $80. Here are the instructions on how to build your own.
There are quite a few steps to this, so
diy headboard pottery barn inspired hudson queen bed, bedroom ideas, diy, woodworking projects
Step 1: Make your wood cuts. I used my Kreg Rip-Cut and circular saw to make my plywood cuts. Then I used my miter saw for the rest of the cuts.
2 - 4" x 4" at 53 1/4" (head board posts)
1 - 1/2" plywood cut at 26 3/4" x 60" (head board)
2 - 1" x 4" at 60" (head board trim)
4 - 1" x 3" at 19 3/4" (head board trim)
1 - 2" x 12" at 60" (head board support)
2 - 1" x 6" at 69" (head board and foot board toppers)
2 - 4" x 4" at 21" (foot board posts)
1 - 1/2" plywood cut at 17" x 60" (foot board)
2 - 1" x 3" at 60" (foot board trim)
4 - 1" x 3" at 12" (foot board trim)
2 - 2" x 4" at 82 1/2" (frame sides)
6 - 2" x 4" at 57" (frame cross boards)
2 - 1" x 12" at 79" (side rails)
Step 2: Using a Kreg Jig drill pocket holes on the two end sides and the top of your head board.
Step 3: Using the pre-drilled pocket holes, attach the plywood to the posts.
Step 4: Using wood glue and 1" finishing nails, attach the trim.
Step 5: Using the pre-drilled pocket holes, attach the topper to the plywood. Using countersunk screws, attach the topper to the posts.
I thought I was happy with the head board at this point, but I later decided that I wanted to add a support to better hold the frame. So, I am skipping forward in my pictures for this step. You can skip this next step if you already have a bed frame.
Step 6: Using a Kreg Jig drill pocket holes on the two end sides of the head board support. Attach the board to the posts.
Repeat steps 2 - 5 for the foot board.
Step 7: Fill any holes with wood filler and sand it.
Step 8: Stain or paint the head and foot boards.
Step 9: Build the bed frame or attach a pre-made frame to the header and footer. Using a Kreg Jig drill pocket holes attach the 57" long 2x4s to the longer 2x4s.
Step 10: Attach the frame to the headboard support and posts using pocket holes and countersunk screws.
Step 11: Using countersunk screws, attach the frame to the foot board posts.
Step 12: Using countersunk screws, attach the side rails to the frame.
Step 13: Sleep well on your new bed!
Now, I just need to figure out the colors I want for my walls, bedding, and window treatments. Any suggestions?
Jaime LaPlant

• Akb10086779

If i wanted to put upholstered panels inside the framed areas what would be the best way? Upholstered plywood or just make a "pillow" and best way to attach it?

• Cor9973708

If you want to do 3 individual sections, I would recommend you approach the project as if it was a new seat for a chair. Measure carefully to cut the plywood backing for the "pillows" so they will fit between the frames. Or, leave the trim pieces off and cut the backing to fit the full length. Attach it from the back with screws (but keep them placed so that you don't get poked through the padding on the front) Remember to allow for the fabric that will run all the way around the perimeter. It sounds like a great upgrade😁

• Keesha Harms

Hi Jamie! It appears the only 4x4 post I can find are 'Douglas fir' and are knotty and very uneven. Where did you find your post?

On the back of your footboard did you fill in the kreg jig holes or cover it with plywood?

• Keesha Harms

• Caseyem11

I like that you used real wood. So many stores use mdf or fiberboard.

• Alj7724123

Your bed is beautiful. You really know how to make something that looks like BIG money.