Hayley@ TheDesertNestDubai
Hayley@ TheDesertNestDubai
  • United Arab Emirates

Refurbishing Old Wicker Couches

$450
4 Weeks

I wanted to share with you guys the project I have been working on lately - its finally finished! Refurbishing an old wicker settee.
outdoor furniture old wicker couch refinish, outdoor furniture, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling, reupholster
I got given 2 wicker couches FOR FREE, as the person who had them before thought they were in too bad state of disrepair and was about to throw them out - but I got to them first!
They were pretty bad to be fair - and I won't lie - it was A LOT of work!
The underneath was totally rotted, and was being held together by string! I had to rebuild the frame first.
Gradually I built up the base again, and once I had finished that I covered it in a 2 part Boiled Linseed Oil to one part Turps mixture to replenish the dried out wicker.
Then came the fun part of painting! I used Krylon Fusion Spray Paint in Ivory Satin, it is a primer and paint in one, and I found it has the best coverage. I used A LOT of spray paint for this - it would have been way cheaper to of found somewhere I could of gotten a Paint gun and used a can of Latex paint with it instead. Anyway you live and learn!
After getting the cushions recovered I am so happy with the results! The cushions were the most expensive part as I don't sew, but if you can recover cushions yourself it would be even cheaper! You can read my full posts on what I did here: http://desertnest.blogspot.ae/2014/09/part-1-old-wicker-sofa-refurb-saga.html
Hayley@ TheDesertNestDubai

• Heather Porst

My wicker is the outside plastic kind. The webs are coming apart and the things look just ratty. Is there anything I can do to fix them.

• Rachael Robert

How can I repair old plastic wicker.

• Angie Forster

I have a wicker with legs. I want to refurbish it. The wicker is unwrapping itself on different parts. Legs and arms. Can I save it and paint it?

• Tanya

This is a really great refurb.!

• CAROL

What a beautiful unusual piece of wicker and kudos to you for your ingenuity and hard work in trstoring her original glory!!!!