DIY Sweater Sleeve Christmas Stockings

I adore the look of fluffy, knit Christmas stockings, but couldn't bring myself to purchase them at big name stores like Anthropologie or Pottery Barn (pictured below). So, I took matters into my own hands and made some from thrift store sweater sleeves!
Prior to this project, I bought a few ivory and white knit sweaters from a thrift store and made pillow covers from them (click here to see the how I did it: http://www.hometalk.com/5083176/upcycle-sweater-pillows-cover). We had the sleeves left over, which were perfect for stockings!
.
We finished them in a day, and that included time to hand sew (machine was broken – of course). You could also make these stockings from the body of the sweater if you wanted to skip the pillows.
.
Here's what you need:
.
- Sweater sleeves (or full sweaters, if you wish) - old sweaters that you no longer wear, or thrift store sweaters work great because you won't have to feel guilty for cutting them up!
- One cheap sample stocking in a shape you like. I happened to find mine at a dollar store for 50 cents. This will be used as an outline for your sweater stockings.
- Thick thread and a needle (or, if you have a sewing machine, even better)
- Fabric scissors
- Washable marker
.
Here's how to do it:
.
Step 1. Once detached, cut sleeves open along the seam and lay flat. Turn one sleeve upside down, and leave one right side up.
Step 2. Lay the sample stocking on the sleeve that's turned upside down, toe facing to the right. Make sure there's at least 1/2 an inch of space on all sides of the sleeve to allow for sewing later on. Outline the sample stocking with the marker. Once you're finished, set it aside.
Step 3. Lay the sample stocking on the other piece of fabric that is right side up (the good side is facing up, the bad side is facing the table). This time, turn the stocking so the toe is facing to the left. Trace the stocking onto the fabric.
Step 4. Put the two good sides together, matching up the lines. The soon-to-be stocking should be inside out at this point. Use a few pins to keep the two sleeves in place.
.
Step 5. Cut off excess fabric around the traced lines, leaving about 1-2″ of room on all sides.
.
Step 6. Sew along the lines using thick thread or yarn for extra support. Go over the seams a few times to strengthen them.
.
Step 7. Turn the stocking right side out.
Step 8. Attach something to hang the stocking with. This could be ribbon, braided yarn, etc. – something sturdy!
Step 9. Hang, stuff, and enjoy!

Catherine

• Mary Fisher

Do you have a problem with the stocking losing it's shape? My daughter bought the expensive one for her boyfriend, but when she fills it, it totally looses it's shape.

• Nadine

@Mary Fisher Sweaters are stretchy so the only way to prevent them from loosing shape when they are full is to put a lining inside. All of the stuff would actually be inside the lining.

• Martha

There are lots of different stocking shapes online. Search for "stocking pattern" or "stock ing outline" in images.

• Ant2846470

Would be a good idea to use the sweater OVER an already made stocking as to avoid it from losing it's shape.