DIY Garage Storage: Ceiling Mounted Shelves

As fall gives way to winter, our attention has turned toward neglected indoor projects. These are the projects we all tend to put off when the weather is nice and we'd rather be outside. It's easy to procrastinate on projects like garage clean-up, hanging pictures, and repainting rooms. One of those neglected projects on our list was finding a way to improve the storage and organization in the garage.
For many of us, floor space in the garage is at a premium. As we started bringing everything indoors for winter, we needed a solution that utilized vertical space. Our final DIY garage storage solution was a simple ceiling suspended two tier shelving system that allowed us to reclaim garage floor space by storing seasonal items up and out of the way.
I chose the empty wasted space above my workbench to create my shelving.
It's critical that the shelving system is securely fastened to a joist in the ceiling to make sure it stays up when you load it up!
This DIY garage storage shelf is low cost, requires minimal cutting, sturdy, safe, and can be put up in an afternoon!

You'll find the full tutorial on our blog.

Carrie @ Kenarry: Ideas For The Home

• AWESOME idea and tutorial!

• MelBrandle

I personally do not have enough confidence to try out a ceiling rack. So far, I have only maximized storage space in the garage by installing wall racks and shelves. I think the walls are more stable and secure. However, having seen your idea I think I might just give it a go but I have to ensure the fixtures are really secure and stable before I place anything heavy loaded on the ceiling racks.