Salvaged Window Frame Doily Display

A salvaged, glass-less window frame + inexpensive fiberglass screen +my grandmother's vintage crocheted doilies = a GORGEOUS piece of one-of-a-kind art that allows you to decorate using gorgeous doilies in a unique way. Talk about !
salvaged window frame doily display, crafts, repurposing upcycling, wall decor, windows
I found this salvaged window frame at an antique store and loved its chippy appeal right from the start.
I knew what I wanted to do with it, so I purchased some inexpensive fiberglass window screen (like you'd use on your back porch), spray painted it lightly, and staple gunned it to the back of my window frame.
I arranged my vintage crocheted and lace doilies on the front of the screen, safety-pinning them in place.
And simply stitched them to the screen with needle and thread!
Easy, right? And seriously gorgeous.
Hanging in our master bedroom!
Sadie Seasongoods

• Susan Clements Brown

Thank you! I have a bunch of old doilies that both of my grandmothers made. I used round embroidery hoops for lots of them but some are either too big or too small. This is a great idea. I don't want to cut any of them. But WHAT do I do with a 36" round one?

• Bubber

Will look great with my mum's crochet napkins / handkerchiefs

• Dea

You can dip them in several layers of clay slip. Position then in a form that will not stick to the clay like plastic wrap in the shape you like, over a bowl or plate keeping them from touching the plate. once dry remove them from the plate or bowel and take off the plastic wrap the doily should stay in the shape you made. Have them fired at a ceramic shop. The cotton doily will burn away leaving a clay bowel with the doily design in the shape you made. , Then get a glaze and paint them and have them fired again. Your ceramic shop should be able to give you instructions on what clay and glaze to use. Most cities have a local shop that teaches ceramics or how to make poured ceramic items. This is one step better because you pick the size, shape and color of your piece.

Many Universities have free classes for seniors in ceramics. Check State funded schools first.