Highstyle Restyle
Highstyle Restyle
  • Plano, TX

Fireplace Screen ReStyled Into Wall Art

I had been looking for some artwork for the wall on our curved staircase. Everything I liked was too expensive and I figured I could just make something I love. So, I started looking for inspiration on Craigslist. When I came across this rusted 3-panel fireplace screen, INSPIRATION struck.
When I showed the screen to my hubby, he thought I was crazy. It didn't take much convincing once I described my idea in detail. And saving a ton of money was a bonus!
Cathedral panels
Cathedral panels
First, he separated the panels and ground off the hinges using an angle grinder. Then, he built 3 cathedral-style frames to surround them using stock 1x3 pine boards, and Birch plywood for the gothic arch tops. The frames were joined with pocket screws and the tops were attached to the base with dowels and glue. He used a handheld router to put a nice beaded edge around the interior and exterior of the entire frame.
Once the frames were finished, I got to start on the fun part. Painting! First, I stained the panels with a red oak stain. Then I added some aged gold paint accents and a dark red glaze to give the panels some dimension. We kept the original finish of the fireplace screen by adding a top coat of clear polyurethane.
fireplace screen restyled into wall art, diy, painting, repurposing upcycling
The panels were then mounted inside their new frames and hung up. The final project was perfect for the wall on my staircase and I love that it was something we created together. :)
This was the first project my hubby and I completed together (many years ago) where he built something and I finished it with paint. As our first project, we didn't fully document and photograph the entire process so there isn't any 'before' pictures of the fireplace screen. Luckily, we learned quickly to take pictures along the way. :)
To see more of my restyled projects, you can follow me on Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/High-Style-Restyle/296597457120303?ref=hl

To see more: http://www.highstylerestyle.com/

• Kathryn

How did he make the curved part of the top of the cathedral window? I want to make a large faux cathedral window for a backdrop on a stage, but I am intimidated about making it look well done. Yours looks so good!