Hyllis Ikea Hack

We really wanted was to make a sort of build-in industrial shelving unit for our living room. A bit Pottery Barn-ish and maybe with a dash of Restoration Hardware.
hyllis ikea hack, living room ideas, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling, shelving ideas, woodworking projects
So my solution was to buy the Hyllis units from Ikea. Super cheap, industrial looking for sure, but not very sturdy.
For this job we used four units. In order to get the shelves just as we wanted, we decided to turn each shelf upside down and flip the actual shelves. That we had them just as we had invisioned them
Turning them upside might seem strange, but that was the best way to get them to fit.
My husband then took each and every unit and cut them to the right length. We were hopeing to cut each one into two parts and use both, but since they are very inexpensive and we wanted it just right – four units was the only way to go.
After reassembling them the next step was to spraypaint them with a primer.
We used a Metal Primer from Montana and then a black coat.
Then after a coat of clear finishing spray we hauled all shelves into the house and tried them to see how they fit the best. The wall is 4m, and the space we had to fit the wooden boards was 27cm.
I treated the wooden boards with wood stain, a mixed together antique oak and teak
When placing the top boards we deceided to have them a bit wider – to get a more polished look.
The end result came so close to what I had already “seen” in my head.
Since part of the shelves are hidden behind the sofa it was perfect to store magazines and such items
For more details check out my blog.
And if you want, my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Skreytum-H%C3%BAs/109339452484911
We really love these shelves, and think they add a lot of personality to the space.
SkreytumHus

• Gyp7186538

so you flipped the whole shelving unit upside down after you cut it and built it? It’s hard to picture what you mean because you cannot tell from the pictures. You said you did it to make it fit better; did you mean it helped make the wood fit better on each shelve?

• Jenn Kelly

Your wall to wall shelving unit is great!

Can you tell me what make your sofas are? They are the style I've been looking for. Thanks!

• Alison Bulick Gilroy

Wow, nice! That is the quintessential "Portland look"! No idea where you are but that is so Rise City! How did you notch the boards to fit snug with the shelving and stiil look so uniform?