Amy Anson
Amy Anson
  • Toms River, NJ

Birdfeeder Out of Recycled Water Bottle

This is really simple and uses recycled and cheap stuff, plus it's a fun project.
What you will need: Recycled plastic water bottle, 2 plastic dishes, Dollar store wooden skewers, glass gems, Silicone glue, wire, washer, 2 small drill bits.
birdfeeder out of recycled water bottle, outdoor living, pets animals, repurposing upcycling
drill small holes in the top of the bottle to thread the wire through later for hanging, drill holes for skewers (these will be the perches for the birds) drill a slightly larger hole about 1/2 inch above the skewer hole (this will be for the birds to access the seeds, drill some small drainage holes at the bottom.
Take your bottom bowl/dish/frisby or whatever and drill a few small holes for drainage
Glue the bottom of the water bottle to the inside of the bowl, make sure your drainage holes are not glued shut
Flip the second bowl over and drill two holes about 1-2 inches apart (to thread the wire for hanging through. Thread the wire through the top holes on the bottle, take each end and bring through the dish for the top (if you flipped it over bring it underneath)
bring both ends of the wire together and tie around a washer. (I used a bead and threaded both through a bead then secured them to the washer with a crimp bead, but you don't need to do all of that, just make sure the wire is long enough to leave enough room to lift the bowl off for filling and or cleaning)
Glue some glass beads on, thread your skewers through (can also be glued into place) or you can paint it or decorate it as you wish.
Simple, inexpensive and cute if I do say so myself. Have fun!
Here is mine filled and hanging in my backyard. I have two skewers which when added with the bottom bowl make for a lot of space for the birds to perch onto. I just love that I finally found a use for those water bottles other than filling my big planters with. And you could use pretty much any size bottle (would just need to adjust the size of the bowls that go with it. I was going to use Frisbees but the Dollar Tree was out of them (then I remembered I had these cute little bowls and whalla! I do suggest the silicone glue (pretty much any of the silicone for outdoor use or plumbing use is good because it will stand up to the weather) Just be sure it dries completely before adding your seed as those glues are not the best for the birds (but where you are putting it they won't have access to anyway so it's all ok)

• Diena Cameron

This might sound like a silly question but (it's also early and i might not had enough coffee yet to get it ) if the holes for the birds are above the skewers sticking through the water bottle, wouldn't the birdseed fall out through the holes ?? I think the whole idea is darling and i can imagine several hanging thoughout the yard. Thanks for sharing, definitely Pinning .)
    • Sta21990204

Yes, when I made a similar bird feeder, the seeds fell out of the holes.
    • Amy Anson

The holes don't need to be too big. The birds pull the seed out. I make the holes a little smaller than the size of a dime. A little seed comes out but as you can see in my picture it stays pretty well. I'm using a mix seed for wild birds that has some larger seeds in it. If you are using smaller seed you may need to make the holes slightly smaller.
    • PFHANS

Also, the bottom bowl will catch any loss. I think the holes are too high. How do you access the seed under the bird perch.
    • Margie Spenser

Doesn't it flow.into the bot
    • Karen

In my "imaginary design", I would use plates or platters instead of the bowls...Plates will catch more seed that falls out and it also provides a place for the birds to sit/perch while eating.

• Jan shannon

I want to make a WATER feeder.

• Nona Wimsatt

I will try this one I am hanging on to what Dee said in the first letter about the see falling through the holes? The Verdict is out yet !! Lol

• Amy Anson

the seed doesn't fall through too much as long as you don't make the holes too big. The birds will pull the food out. I had to take mine down because the deer figured out how to snake their tongues in there and empty the feeders. Back to the drawing board for me.