Mailbox With Recycled Hardware

This little mailbox called my name on a recent thrift store outing. The shape is fun, but the orange glaze had to go. I was looking for something cute to hang outside my back door (in a covered area). It seems like I am always leaving something for someone to swing by and pick up when I'm not home. Under the mat is so 2014. :) />
Another junk outing turned up these mismatched hardware pulls. At the time I wasn't sure how I would use them, but for a few dollars it was worth figuring out.
I painted the inbox a shade of green that alludes to the accent color in my kitchen. I used homemade chalk paint to cover the orange.
Next I drilled holes to accept the mismatched hardware. A good trick is to line the drill bit up with whatever you are making a hole for. If you are sliding a piece through the hole, go a little bigger. If you are going to thread (screw) a piece through go a little smaller. It will be right every time! This picture should help...
Here is the finished mailbox...now all I have to do is hang it!
I hope you will follow Hunt & Host on Hometalk for more thrifty DIY inspiration. You can also head over to the blog for more information, projects, trash to treasure and junkin tips! You won't want to miss what I did with this piece of an old baby bed...

3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
Salvaged Living: Decorating & DIY

• Flossie
    Flossie

Hi, how did you make your chalk paint? There are so many recipies.

• Justcerts
      Justcerts

Many of you have asked me what DIY Chalk Paint recipes I like best. ..... Hi Mira – Did you see Mira's answer to your question about latex paint? ..... I know that chalk paint can be made using so many different ingredients, so I think ... It may since there are many different recipes to make chalk paint from baking soda to grout. https://www.justcerts.com/cisco/300-101-pract...