Decorative Mailbox

Set the street side tone for your home and add some simple DIY curb appeal with a decorative mailbox using ModPodge and fabric or special papers.
Mine features Mackenzie-Childs giftwrap and Richloom outdoor fabric on an oversized rural-sized mailbox.
diy decorative mailbox, crafts, curb appeal, how to
Select your cover materials and cut to size, paying attention to the pattern for best placement. If you're using paper, spray each side with a couple of light coats of varnish to add body and minimize wrinkles. Let dry between coats. It will still wrinkle, but this will help!
Apply the decoupage medium, and carefully place your fabric or paper, smoothing as you go. Let dry.
Give everything a good coat of Outdoor ModPodge. Let dry.
(ONE YEAR LATER: I would revise these directions so that you top coat the paper with MP, but use spray varnish to seal in the fabric. The MP gets cloudy after exposure to weather. )
Add trim or other accents as desired. Let dry for 72 hours.
ADD A PROTECTIVE COAT or two OF OUTDOOR VARNISH to the entire finished mailbox, then show your style curbside!
Visit me at DustandDoghair.com for more details, helpful hints, or to ask a question!
EmDirr @ DustandDoghair.com

• Mer33674279

I want to do this so much, yes! I just need to be sure does the post office have any regulations about decorating like this technique? Don't want to have them make me change it, ugh. Also how could / where should I put the numbers - and what is a good suggestion for numbering on this sort of decorative idea? I love it!!!

• Mer33674279

Good idea- Thanks! Okay, I definitely will call them (and do the, ha, long "wait-line" via phone vs. the long "wait-line" in person, ugh!) and make inquiry. I'm guessing in advance that it'll be interesting to see what they say; because apparently different areas (and different carriers!) sort of most likely go by different regulations ( or interpretation of restrictions).

• Anita Gian

I just decorated my faded painted mailbox outside. I used pre-cut Wallies and brought a bucket of water and some paper towels with me. After a couple hours I sprayed with clear coat. It is a sunflower motif, so I'm just hoping for a couple of months until the Christmas swag I put on it. I think I will cover it with wrapping paper or fabric first after seeing this post. Mad for plaid after watching Outlander!

• Kane Carmody

When its installed, throw Post Shields on the bottom. That will help keep the whole piece looking great! www.PostShields.com