How to Remove Old Veneer and Use Wallpaper to Hide Flaws

313K Views
This chest had been left outside for some time and the veneer was peeling off and the top was bowed from being wet.
  • how to remove old veneer before and after metallic painted dresser, how to, painted furniture
I removed what I could, and put a dripping wet towel and left it over night. Also used a board and clamped both sides to straighten out the bowed top while it was wet and drying.
The veneer pulled up and was easily removed.
damage to the veneer was also on the sides. I patched, and added a trim board across the bottom to hide the missing veneer
I sanded the top, and added paintable wallpaper to the drawer fronts to add texture and hide the condition issues.
painted all of it with Metallic pewter paint
I used a gray base coat to save on the pricey metallic paint. I used a roller and rolled a lighter silver paint over the top of the texture to highlight.
black glaze was added to also highlight the texture on the drawers and add depth to the metallic pewter finish.
Added wallpaper to the drawer bottoms and painted the interior too.
Finished off with a topcoat of polyurethane for durability.
Yes, it can be saved and loved again!

Suggested materials for this project: