Pamela Field
Pamela Field
  • Tulsa, OK

How to Remove Old Veneer and Use Wallpaper to Hide Flaws

This chest had been left outside for some time and the veneer was peeling off and the top was bowed from being wet.
how to remove old veneer before and after metallic painted dresser, how to, painted furniture
I removed what I could, and put a dripping wet towel and left it over night. Also used a board and clamped both sides to straighten out the bowed top while it was wet and drying.
The veneer pulled up and was easily removed.
remove the veneer and patch with wood filler
damage to the veneer was also on the sides. I patched, and added a trim board across the bottom to hide the missing veneer
patch and add trim to cover missing veneer
I sanded the top, and added paintable wallpaper to the drawer fronts to add texture and hide the condition issues.
paintable wallpaper added to drawer fronts
painted all of it with Metallic pewter paint
I used a gray base coat to save on the pricey metallic paint. I used a roller and rolled a lighter silver paint over the top of the texture to highlight.
black glaze was added to also highlight the texture on the drawers and add depth to the metallic pewter finish.
Added wallpaper to the drawer bottoms and painted the interior too.
Finished off with a topcoat of polyurethane for durability.
This chest had great bones.
This chest had great bones.
Yes, it can be saved and loved again!

• Carri

Did you have to buy 2 rolls of the wallpaper? I’ve found the one I want to use but everywhere I’ve called only sales it in 2 packs and that makes it expensive.

• Cathy

I am amazed I love it ! Could you please tell me where you purchased the wall paper

• Jessica Villamil

Hi Sheryl, love the outcome but I am in love with the color. Can you tell me what paint you used, color and brand? Thank you!

• Pamela Field

Pewter Metallic by Modern Masters I used for most of the body. I did a base coat of a gray paint under it to save on the more $$ metallic paint. I also used a silver metallic over to highlight the texture. Finished with a black glaze and satin Poly acrylic. I hope that helps?