This is what I started out with. Purchased for $25.00 on a Facebook tag sale site.
It was very easy to take the sewing machine off just a few screws. The same with the left side drawers were broken and not able to fix them.
UpCycled Old Singer Sewing Machine
Using some Coke I cleaned up the knobs on the draws.
I then added a piece of 1/4 inch birch plywood over the top of the table to cover where the sewing machine hole was. I had Home Depot cut it for me to specs. I used liquid nails adhesive and clamps and glued the top down. (sorry did not take pictures of that step.
This is what the desktop looks like after the first coat of stain and polyurethane. I put 2 coats of stain and then sanded it. I also put two coats of polyurethane with a light sanding in between each coats.
Final step was to spray paint the base wrought Iron with a Bight Red Rust-Oleum spray paint. It took 2 cans and then I used a gold to hit the SINGER. The intent for this project was to use it as a plant stand.
This is the end result. I just love how it came out!
Published May 25th, 2015 8:25 AM
2 of 216 comments