How to Make a Dollar Tree DIY Christmas Gingerbread Display
Today, I'll show you how to make a Christmas festive shelf sitter and/or centerpiece filled with gingerbread and peppermint goodness.
This DIY decor project has a real Christmas Farmhouse feel. Let's get started:
1. Cut off the sides of wooden crates
Begin with three Dollar Tree wooden crates and cut off one side on two and both sides on one.
2. Glue the crates together
Adhere all three crates with Aleen's Tacky glue or wood glue to create one long wooden planter. Allow to dry and cure overnight.
3. Paint the wood brown
Next, pick up three wooden arrows in various sizes and paint everything in a brown paint. I used Apple Barrel in Nutmeg Brown.
4. Use caulk for the frosting
Get a tube of caulking and begin to frost the whole perimeter of the planter.
5. Add details with craft sticks
Using craft sticks, cut to create the roofs on the tops of the arrows to transform them into houses. Adhere with glue and frost with caulking. Add fine glitter, if desired.
6. Decorate more wood pieces for the display
Add a variety of smaller wood pieces to fill the planter with life. Paint, frost, and add glitter to keep the look cohesive.
7. Fill a silicone mold with hot glue
Using a decorative silicone mold, fill it with hot glue and allow the glue to set.
8. Paint red and white
Once the glue is set, pop out of the silicone mold and paint with desired colors and patterns. I did red and white for a peppermint theme.
9. Add candy embellishments
Using the hot glue embellishments and other desired pieces; let's make the houses beautiful. I used plastic peppermints, plastic candy canes, and ribbons. Add floral foam to the planter and press in the arrow houses.
Using small wooden dowels, peppermint striped ribbon, plastic peppermints, and gingham ribbon; we'll make some faux lollipops. You can use striped paper straws too. Paint the floral foam white.
DIY Christmas gingerbread display
Embellish with florals, more plastic candy, more ribbon, and a pinwheel and it's complete.
What do you think of this gingerbread Candyland scene? Let me know in the comments below.
- Three Wooden Crates (Dollar Tree)
- Three Wooden Arrows (Dollar Tree)
- Apple Barrel Nutmeg Brown Acrylic Paint (Walmart)
- Aleen's Tacky Glue (Dollar Tree)
- White Caulking in a Tube (Dollar Tree)
- Apple Barrel White Acrylic Paint (Walmart)
- Fine Glitter (Dollar Tree)
- Silicone Mold (Amazon)
- Hot Glue Sticks (Dollar Tree)
- Extra Wood Shapes (Dollar Tree)
- Apple Barrel Red Acrylic Paint (Walmart)
- Floral Foam (Dollar Tree)
- Assorted Florals (DollarTree)
- Plastic Pinwheel (Dollar Tree)
- Ribbon (Dollar Tree)
- Wooden Dowels (DollarTree)