DIY Mushroom Decor
I like to change up my spring decorating sometimes and there is something about spring that draws me in to its woodsy, earthy feel. I wanted my decorations to mirror this feeling.
On top of that, my husband challenged me to add a coconut shell (from the coconut we had just eaten) to my spring decor. It sounded like a dare that I couldn't resist, so I started brainstorming some fun ideas.
It doesn't take a lot of effort to make this cute spring decoration with a coconut. This would also be a fun addition to a fairy garden.
Materials to make DIY Mushroom Decor:
- Coconut shell
- Clay flower pot that will fit under your coconut shell (I used a 3″ pot)
- Hot glue gun
Steps to Make DIY Mushroom Decor
Step 1: Split and Eat the Coconut
If you already know how to break a coconut in half, then you can skip this whole section.
However, if you have never purchased or eaten a coconut and need a brief tutorial of how to open a coconut, here it is:
- Soak your coconut in water in a bowl or under the tap to help the shell become softer and easier to break. We did this for only a couple of minutes until it was wet.
- Locate the 3 raised lines on the side of the coconut. These are the weakest points of the coconut.
- Use a hammer or meat tenderizer to tap those 3 lines in the center of the coconut until the coconut breaks in two halves. (Do this over a bowl or you will get coconut milk everywhere!)
- Use a butter knife to get behind the coconut meat and peel it out. Or use a paring knife to cut chunks of coconut out of the shell. (Yes, there should be some brown skin on the coconut meat, and yes you can eat it.)
Now you should have 2 coconut shell halves to make your DIY mushroom decor and a tasty snack!
Step 2: Glue the Mushroom Decor
Grab your clay pot and hot glue the rim.
Place the coconut shell half on top of the glue.
And….. You’re done!
That was it!
This craft was so easy and I loved how they turned out! They were a fun, cheap, and easy addition to my Spring decor.
What do you think? Did I succeed at my husband’s challenge to make a fun decoration with the coconut shells?
I hope you think so and make some of these DIY mushroom decorations for yourself.