These DIY Vanity Lights were a bargain project that used up a ton of supplies from my basement. The only things I purchased were the used sconces for $7.50. The light looks fantastic, and was 100% worth the effort I put in.
DIY Vanity Lights
I mostly shopped my basement for this project, grabbing some scrap wood and general electrical supplies.
I started by removing the globe from the sconce base and spray painting all of the pieces a flat black. While those dried, I went to work on the scrap wood.
I cut and sanded the wood piece to size, then planned out where I would place my junction boxes.
I cut holes in the wood for each junction box using a jigsaw.
Then I flipped the board over and carved a groove in the back using a spade bit and a drill press. Theoretically, a router and/or forstner bit would have been better things to use, but I didn't have any of those.
The purpose of the groove is to provide a place for the Romex to run through, so it doesn't just get sandwiched between the board and the wall.
Next I stained the piece and added a mounting hole to each corner.
Finally, I mounted the board to the wall. This was a bit of a process, so check out the full blog post if you're curious how I made sure it was secure, even though I couldn't get my screws into studs.
Then I mounted each sconce to the board. I was getting pretty excited at this point, not going to lie. It was looking even better than I expected!
Finally, I reattached the globes to the base, and added lightbulbs. Then the light was done, and it definitely exceeded my expectations!
Admittedly, this was a bit more complicated of a project than some of my other DIY lighting projects ( this easy teapot lamp was a breeze,) but it was totally worth it in my book!
Resources for this project:See all materials
Comet on May 14, 2021
We found a $10 pair of white ** barn lights** in the small size we needed, painted the outaide hammered bronze and the inside an antigue gold, added old fashioned twisted cloth covered cords (these were origianlly meant to be hard wired into a wall placement) and got the exact size and look we had been searching for months for!!
Lights from RUNNINGS, spray paint, cloth covered cords from ETSY.