Handmade Painters Drop Cloth Rag Wreath

I had a few extra wire wreath forms and decided to try to make a wreath out of a painters drop cloth. It was super easy, but it did take some time to make it.
Here is a completed picture of it.


I bleached and laundered the drop cloth first so that it would be softer.
I started by cutting the hemmed edges off and cutting the drop cloth in half. I cut little slits into one end and tore long strips, approximately an inch wide, the length of the half I was working with.
Then I straightened the long strips into a neat pile and tried to remove most of the loose strands of thread. Then I cut the long strips into six inch pieces.
Then I started tying each piece onto the wire form. Row by row, section by section. You might want to get comfortable for this part. It took about an hour to tie all of the strips onto the form.
I used a 12" wire form for this wreath.
Here's the back once the entire form was full.
Here's the front. I just fluffed it and shook a lot of the loose threads off to poof it up.
I really like how it turned out an decided to make a second one. It is larger and brighter.
Here are both of them together.
Adina Johnson @ Simply Country Life
Want more details about this and other DIY projects? Check out my blog post!
Go
Frequently asked questions
Have a question about this project?
  1 question
  • Karen Karen on Jan 11, 2021

    What size was the drop cloth? And how long were the strips when you were finished tearing them? I love this wreath! Thanks!

Comments
Join the conversation
2 of 4 comments
  • Judi Judi on Nov 19, 2017
    This looks like something that could help pass a long winter evening. I just can not wait to start one. I love the look of this wreath and plan on trying to make several. Thanks for sharing your ideas
    Judi

  • Mcgypsy9 Mcgypsy9 on Feb 17, 2018
    I made one this winter too! Mine was made with an old bedspread that was full of holes. I just started taring pieces and then cut them to about 7 inches (I wanted to allow for the knot) and it didn’t take very long at all. I worked a section at a time between the cross wires and all total probably took 2-3 hours. I was really surprised at how quickly it went. Yours came out basically just like mine...lol.

Next