Our old barn became a relative's dumping ground for many years (decades ago) so I inherited some very strange leftovers. Especially old hunting gear and what-not. And, you know me, I'm trying to find projects and usability every where I can! These chairs my dad proclaimed to be old goose hunting chairs that once came with a blind over top of them. I nodded thinking, Well, that's cool but now they're mine! Mahahahahaha! I don't know about you but my idea of the perfect thing would be a place in the sun after work for a couple of hours, good company (or just myself would be fine too...) and a bottle of wine. I had been working on sun loungers in my head for months when I had stumbled upon these old goose hunting chairs and immediately, I got excited! I pulled them out of the barn Saturday morning and I got to work.
DIY Sun Loungers Out of Old Goose Hunting Chairs!
(Okay this project turned into seven hours of time wasting hell because I can be a real stubborn idiot at times. I'm not going to put all that here on Hometalk because it is a LONG story, but if you guys would like to find out all the details of my long horrible day with these chairs you can check it out on my blog :)
They were GROSS!!! Literally they were totally covered in the excrement of what seemed like hundreds of different kinds of birds and critters. EEEEWWWWW
First thing I did was cut off the nasty camouflaged fabric and then I used my garden hose and steel wool to scrub the frames as best I could. They were in surprisingly good shape, there was only one that had some rust where the paint was flaking off. I put them on a tarp in my garage and got to work spray painting the frames. One thing I was really stoked about was how BIG they were and how sturdy and heavy as well. These frames are not delicate by any means - they're designed to support big guys in full hunting gear during really cold and wet weather - so they're very tough.
I spent $25 at walmart on four cans of rustoleum spray paint in the happiest colors I could find and three outdoor table cloths. After cutting the fabric so that it was big enough to DOUBLE it for strength I grabbed my bag of baling twine and wrapped it around the back and the seats lots of times and created a support structure to be hidden under the fabric.
From there, I just wrapped the fabric over it to hide the twine and tied it in the back.
I tried and failed to add grommets for the back, so in the end, I cut holes down either side for the twine to thread through and then laced up the back like a corset :). Sewing would probably last longer and be stronger, if you have the time and skill to do it.
If you can't find me this summer you know where I'll be!